Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to protect exposed aggregate from fire pit?

learntofix
Finding My Feet

How to protect exposed aggregate from fire pit?

Hi I want to store and use a metal firepit on exposed aggregate. Do I need to protect the exp agg from the heat ? Bottom of the metal firepit will be about 15 to 20 cms above the exp aggregate.

Do I need to protect the exp agg from the heat ?  

If yes will a 1m x 1m square of cement sheet work, and safely ? 

If not what material should I use that can be easily available in 1m x 1m square ?

I do not have tools to cut metal to size. 

Thank you 

16978510646853554504439627009634.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: protect exposed aggregate surface from firepit

Hi @learntofix,

Protecting the surface would likely be a good idea, especially if it uses resin to bind the stones together. If it's exposed aggregate and cement, there's less of a concern, though probably better to be on the safe side. Cement sheeting sounds like a good idea, but you won't find it in 1m x 1m sections. Thinner cement sheeting can easily be cut with a score and snap knife. A sheet of James Hardie 1800 x 1200 x 6mm 2.16m² Villaboard Lining cut in half and laid on top of each other would provide significant protection for your aggregate.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitch, I found this on the Bunnings Worksop : 

.... Please be aware that FC or fibre cement sheeting is not recommended to be used near hot or open flame areas. Even though FC sheeting is a non- flammable material, It has a tendency to pop and explode into sharp pieces under prolonged exposure to heat. ... is FC sheet mentioned above the same as cement sheet that you suggest? 

Hi @learntofix,

I hadn't come across the same warning from James Hardie, but I trust my colleague has investigated the use of FC/cement sheet products around heat sources. I do note they recommend the HardieBacker board around exposed flames rather than a standard cement sheeting. 

I should have thought of this before, but a far better idea than the cement sheeting would be to use pavers over the area beneath the firepit.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Will do thanks 😊 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects