Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to protect this garden bed timber ...

binaryzer0
Getting Established

How to protect this garden bed timber ...

Hi folks ,

Just wanted to get some input from you on how to protect this timber. We have this open in drive way forming a wall but I can see water is already making inroads and potentially have to replace this in long term.

Is there any type of sealant or product I can use to protect these from breaking down ?

ta

8y1nKWeNToutdoIuzM-WIg.jpg

UIV3LROuTmGM6NonQnmz7Q.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to protect this timber ...

Hi @binaryzer0,

The timber used in that retaining wall is H4 treated pine. H4 treatments are suitable for use in situations where the timber is in contact with the ground or is continually damp. You'll find water will make inroads and then it will dry out again. This shouldn't cause any damage and the timber will last for many years just fine.

Any sealer you put on the timber will still allow water to enter from the soil side which you can't get to. I would imagine sealing the visible parts of the wall would only accelerate the rotting of the timber internally as the moisture can't escape.

I don't believe there is anything you need to be concerned about, but please feel free to ask further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks a lot Mitchell. Still learning a lot hence newbie questions :smile:

No problems at all @binaryzer0, feel free to post anytime you need a hand. We're here to help.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects