Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to refresh balcony tiles and grout?

Hankonos
Just Starting Out

How to refresh balcony tiles and grout?

Hello,

looking for some advice on my balcony tiles. I have a large balcony (approx 6x6m) that’s in need of a refresh. The grout is loose and wanting to remove the old grout and re-grout. Is this something I should be DIYing? 

If so, any advice on what type of grout? It’s fully exposed to the elements. Main concern here is keeping water from seeping through  the level below. 

IMG_7791.jpeg

IMG_7793.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Balcony Tiles

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Hankonos. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about restoring balcony tiles.

Is there currently an issue with a leak to the area below? When a balcony is constructed, a waterproofing layer is placed over the concrete balcony. The tiles are then placed over that. Any water seeping through the tiles is then captured and diverted to the balcony's drainage point, typically a hole in the exterior wall.

The grouting does look degraded, and it would certainly be worth restoring it, if even from an aesthetical perspective. The process involves cutting out the existing grout and removing all the degraded material. Even with a multi-tool and diamond blade, this would be a huge task, so you might want to consider getting a few quotes on the work from a professional. 

Any standard exterior grout can be used for this project.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects