Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to refresh my fish pond?

Thierry
Building a Reputation

How to refresh my fish pond?

Hi Team

I have an outdoor covered fish pond facing North east, capacity 1500 L.

Could you please advise:

1. A water pump, filter, uv light (all integrated ?) 

2. 3 pond lights?

3. Do i need to remove the middle  pot and install a new pump there? 

4. Im thinking if can fit through central pot water feature

My current pump with small integrated filter (after 2 years) is not pumping water although everything appears to be working. And it was connected to an external UV. Also, my 3 led lights are weakening now, need replacement. 

Need to fix this asap as theres 8 goldfish 

Thanks

Thierry 

IMG20221202081253.jpg

IMG20221202081259.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to refresh my fish pond?

Hello @Thierry

As an immediate fix for your pump, I suggest using an AQUAPRO AP2400F Pond And Fountain Pump. This will aerate the water in your pond and help your goldfish breathe. As for the pond lights I recommend the Holman RGB Colour Pond Light - 3 Pack if you want to put them underwater. However, if you only want spotlights around the area, I propose using Solar Magic 100/300lm Hi/Low LED Spotlight

I suggest removing the old pump and its fittings and determining the best position for the new pump. To filter the water, I suggest using the AQUAPRO 450 x 160 x 160mm Large Pre-Filter Sponge to help clear the water in the pond. I'm sorry but there are currently no 3-in-1 pond pump combinations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Thierry
Building a Reputation

Hi @EricL 

Thanks for the advice.

Went to the store.

The pond pump fountain was out of stock. 

I notice theres aqua pro , all in one 2000 pump, medium at $418.97. any advice comparing to your suggested pump? And reason why you didn't

propise this 

Also do I need a UV light?

Thanks

Thierry

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Thierry,

It sounds like @EricL might have just missed that one. It appears to be a relatively new product, as I hadn't seen it before. It sounds good to me and suits your requirements. It has slightly less flow than the model @EricL suggested but is adequate for your pond.

You don't need a UV light, but it helps to control algae, and if you don't have one, you'd need to look at other control methods like chemicals.

I'm sure @EricL will chime in after the weekend if it wasn't just an oversight.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Thierry
Building a Reputation

Hi @MitchellMc 

I have also seen other pump models that can be installed outside the pond ,and  dig under soil...

In my case which one is better? 

Thanks

Thierry

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Thierry 

As it so happens  I run Koi fish  that are more demanding and are closly related to gold fish I am  in the middle of  expanding my fish  pond to take larger  koi and gold fish populations.  Current 7000L new is 25000L So i have to use external filter system and koi are  quite messy fish. The  amount of reseach i had to do to understand  the nitrogen  cycle fish  diseases and parisites with cures and everything  can be huge as we are creating a mini world and if it is out of balance fish die.  I Bought my self a  high quality microscope to  do fish health and  water studies.

I have spent much time studing fish needs and filtration systems so I will try to be concise with information too help you should you wish to ask further  questions feel free..

IMPORTANT : First  question have there being any fish deaths?  Please describe death numbers and  symptoms this  will aid in  rescuing your  pond.

Do you have pebble rocks in your  pond? Bloated  white cotton wool growth etc.  where there skin  red  veins etc?

Gold fish are surprisingly resilient  fish and can live some  surprising  conditions but they  do need some basic TLC to live better  healthier lives.

Lets state some facts:  based apon your immediate  1500Gold fish need.

ALL IN ALL System is super easy to run and  install no piping but NEEDS min 5000L per hour  as you have fish.

A smaller  AQua pro 2000 will work  but it will all most need a fortnightly clean.   an Allinone pump will work  great for your pond size as it has enough  Filter material  for benificial bacteria growth. has UV lamp (replace lamp yearly) the fountain  feature will aerate the water plenty on small fountain. (gold fish  dont need aerating if pond is open and wide like yours as long as less than 30 fish.  The more fish you have  the more aeration and filter you need. Looking at your pond I estimate currently15 to 20 fish plenty given they will grow bigger. The more fish  the bigger the filteration , bigger UV and  and bigger biofilter area you need and the more often you have to clean them.

Position All in one anywhere fountain wont spray water out. You can have water flow into a  pipe up into a  trickling water feature or mini water fall instead of a fountain.

I Recommend  highly ###  for your  pond:

To cope  with your 1500L with fish in it.  External System! Is a pump with  no filter, pumping water to an external filter and return to pond. The following will Handle your pond with ease.

-AQUAPRO AP3100DW Filtration Pump I/N: 2810303  $300.52 No internal filter :smile:

AQUAPRO AP5000UV Combo Series II Pressure Filter I/N: 2810202 $385.56  UV and biofilter in sponge.

Simply put  this system simply filters at edge of pond so you can service it with out needing to pull pump out of water. This  can do 5000L pond water plants alone but  only 1500L/hour  with  fish so good for your pond.  It has  every thing  self contained UV Biofilter in the sponges and a  self clean back rinse system will save  you  work  pulling filter apart.

Place pump at far  end of the pond close to wall and have the water return on the otherside via outlet from Filter unit, and use water falletc to jazz your pond up as you wish.

Some  pond  information.

@MitchellMc  was right  about the UV light  mostly there for killing alge and stopping your pond turning green.  UV also helps kill microscopic organisms harmfull to fish.

Two  things a pond filter  provides 

1. It  physically filters out particals (just keeps water  clear not alge untill they are big .) This is you basic "water feature and fountain pump" not good for many fish.

2 Filter sponge and  bio balls : Benificial bacteria  of two key  varieties grows on the filter sponges etc  some external filter units have things called bioballs that grow additional benificial use full for larger ponds, ie more growing area. The first bacteria converts /eats deadly  Ammonia from fish to a less harmfull but still dangerous to Nitrites,  The  seconcd bacteria eats the Nitrites to Nitrate which in turn is consumed by your water plant and reasonable levels can  be  present in the pond and not hurt  fish.  When  cleaning your  pump filter NEVER use tap water (rinse in1 or 2 bucket of water from same pond) as chlorine kills your bacteria colonies and it could take 1 month where fish are at  risk of ammonia buildup why because Converting bacteria needs to rebuild.  The  black  growth on the sides of the pond are also good bacteria thats why your fish lived while pump blocked.

Warning adding tap water is adding clorine  this will shorten fish life so best add small amounts of water often as  summer  evaporates water out.  I have   a 5000L tank water  just for fish water top ups.

Another common fish tank problem is adding sand and rocks as  when the fish poop it mixes  with the stones and can breds harmful parisites in greater numbers.  This is ok if you  vacuum your pond regularly but it is eaisier maintinace to have open  no rock bottom.

all fish tanks have  some parisites at times the trick is to  control the numbers and healthy fish are resistant to  small attacks.

I wont bog you down with too much info so  call out if your  fish  have any symptoms or showing odd behavior.

Picture  my  stage one fish tank with aquarium front.nightfalls.jpg

A great  brand  Is OASE (german design ) it is solid and reliable usually  lower current motors and last longer than  other brands  normally

This will fit your pond  nicly and no external plumbing required throw it in and it will work but  cleaning is required.  What youtubes for learning that it will save you money..

Oase Filtral 5000 Pump-UVC-Filter  3 in 1(Allin one for   your pond and fish.) $579.00  google it.

You  need  5000L/hour  everything regardless of  brand

@EricL  Water lights look nice too :smile:

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Thierry,

There are all types of systems. If an all-in-one system is clogging up often, you might like to go with a separate filter system outside the pond. This makes it particularly easy to access and clean when required. If your previous integrated pump filter worked fine for two years, you might just want to replace it with something similar.

Mitchell

Thierry
Building a Reputation

Hi @Jewelleryrescue @MitchellMc 

Thanks for the info and advice.

2 fish have died and 2 newly born - that was before I installed the external UV light, connecting to the small pump (with integrated filter). The water used to be so green that I barely see anything in the water.

No, theres no peddle rocks.

What i would like to achieve:
1. For ambience, either put a fountain flowing high enough to see.
To Install either inside or outside the pot (need to empty it as I see theres sand and rock)

2. Waterfall would be nice too, but i am not sure how and where to put it and sort of equipment

3. My fish are small quite small , haven't seen them grow much since last 2-3 years. I feed them once a week , if i dont forget

4. Also would like 1 light underneath the fountain, and 3 lights surrounding the ponds

5. Minimising maintenance

My understanding, i need to get 5000LPH pump.

Questions:
A. With external system, can i still have fountain in middle?
B the all in one, under water i see there's fountain kit, which is nice. Do you have Integrated light under the fountain?

Many thanks
Thierry

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Thierry,

You can undoubtedly have a fountain in the middle with an external system. The return line to the pond would get routed to the centre, and a fountainhead fitted. It's this return line that powers the fountain. I haven't seen any integrated lights included on all-in-one systems.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects