Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to refresh my fish pond?

Thierry
Building a Reputation

How to refresh my fish pond?

Hi Team

I have an outdoor covered fish pond facing North east, capacity 1500 L.

Could you please advise:

1. A water pump, filter, uv light (all integrated ?) 

2. 3 pond lights?

3. Do i need to remove the middle  pot and install a new pump there? 

4. Im thinking if can fit through central pot water feature

My current pump with small integrated filter (after 2 years) is not pumping water although everything appears to be working. And it was connected to an external UV. Also, my 3 led lights are weakening now, need replacement. 

Need to fix this asap as theres 8 goldfish 

Thanks

Thierry 

IMG20221202081253.jpg

IMG20221202081259.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to refresh my fish pond?

Hello @Thierry

There are a variety of pond plants available at the store but it depends on what is currently stocked. I suggest visiting your local store and having a look in the garden area and asking a helpful team member to show you where the pond plants are. 

General examples of water plants are the Arthritis plant, Golden Marsh Flower, Nardoo, Water Ribbon and Fairy Lights. Please remember that each plant serves a purpose, some are oxygenators, floaters and submersibles. Oxygenators grow rapidly and absorb dissolved mineral salts directly through their leaves which would normally feed algae. Floating plants provide shade and safe hiding spots for fish in outdoor ponds. Submersibles are plants such as water lilies and numerous other small plants with floating leaves and flowers which can be planted in any vacant spot in the pond. They provide shelter for the fish, produce oxygen and their flowers add colour to the pond surface.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your pond fully restored.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi  @Thierry  and hi  @EricL 

Yes I think the Bragdon 5 in 1 6000, will suit your pond well. at 1500L/hour.  I think you will be pleasanly surprised allround.  Make sure you get the one with the nozzle sticking out at right angle to the fountain spout as  this will run your side water feature as you said you wanted. $399  it has valve so add water feature later. as per the previous pond picture guide.blagdon-inpond-5-in-1-6000-multi-filter-1500lh-aquatic-supplies-australia-556935_2048x.jpg

There quality is very high for the price.

Pump /filter makers always over state there pumps capacity as a rule  get the bigger pump like i said it is better to filter water twice than not enough, 

The fish are in there own toilet water how many times would you liked that filtered per hour if you where a fish?

That means 1500L/Hour  in 1 hour  all your water cleaned once this is  ok.  It is a  blagdon british company and  has good reputation and it also  offers quality Maintenance  kits for $32.95 annual  but if you are prepared to squeeze out the  filter material into 2 buckets of pond water. Bucket 1 is for squeezing muck out,  bucket  2 is a  rinse only. Sponge dose not have to be 100% clean. This way you can stretch not having to replace sponges etc.  UV light should be replaced as a  separate item once a  year as it loses UV capacity 20% per year. Aquaticsuppiesaustralia I buy from too has them in stock as well as Bragdon 5 in 1 6000, Top the pond up with tap water frquently to the top aviod  large water changes. 

I wish Bunning stocked them  to sell to us but they cant stock every item on the planet, so not there  fault.

Thierry keep your pot  as one of the four as you wish just keep your pump in open water in the middle or fountain will splashes over the sides.  I am not really knowledgable on plants but look at  your local nursery at water plants or wet zones plants  that like constant wet roots.  Do not add any more salt to pond as salt can kill plants.  Salt only used when fish sick infrequently but not in pond unless advised. Take  plants out when salt  present for 3 monthes is safest.   Use google to  check plant wont hurt fish and fish ponds

Salt all you fish with one  table spoon salt in bucket of water every 6 monthes it will help keep parasites under control.  (I salted you fish in pond to help knock parasite population down as 2 fish died.) I didnt see your  fish bodies dead so a range of possible causes possible salt is a safe general cure all but it can be over done..

If you wanted a more gushing side water fall feature spend $100 more and buy ( larger pump 3000L/hour)

Blagdon Inpond 6 in 1 9000 Multi Filter (3000L/h)  $499  

Hi @Jewelleryrescue 

Thanks for your help. 

My last concern is whether the fountain and water feature will have enough pressure before consisering the 6000 model 

The waterfall feature which will be a splitter frog (the only one interesting online) sitting approximately 25 cm above water level of 37cm (to double check) ( see green mark). Size hose will be 10mm.

I either like the daisy or bell jet, high enough to see from inside living room (around 60 cm above water depth of 37cm) (to double check)

Screenshot_2022-12-06-14-36-48-07_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.jpg

IMG_20221206_140233.jpg

Thanks

Thierry

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Thierry

It should indicate on your owner's manual the maximum header or the maximum height that the pump can achieve pumping against gravity. If it says for example a header of 1 meter then having your pond accessory within the height limit means that water will still be pumped out. It's best to consult the owner's manual so you can see how far you can position your pond display and still get water to it.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric  

Hi @Thierry  and @EricL 

Thats another reason to  generally always go a  bigger pump than exactly needed 

but yes  the Blagdon Inpond 5 in 1 6000 Multi Filter (1500L/h) will operate that nice frog water spout with 10 mm ( I have a fish shaped one :smile: with  with the fountain going  plenty  of  presssure to spare.  This  pump rated at 1.3meters 

Have that little frog sitting on a nice piece of flat rock or some thing underneath the flat something run the hose out of the pond just lift it up a bit so hose isnt squashed. now  your hose is hidden.  take  pictures  of any new dead fish if they croak  lol sorry bad pun.

It comes  with a variety of water fountain heads as you know so try em all . I like the dome shape  i think it will be a winner  with the light under it. as The light is  automatic at night too is nice.   The fountian has a flow control so you can adjust the fountain head  height to  suit your viewing area just  ensure  no water  splashes out as this  will empty your  pond.  You can always have a splash board redirect water  back in if a regular  breeze was to blow water out.  but your  pond pretty sheltered  i am guessing.

Hi @Jewelleryrescue 

Just checked the distance from middle pump to frog, its 180cm,not sure if its too far.

IMG_20221206_210549.jpg

I require at least 70 cm of fountain from ground level.

I also see theres 9000L (from youronlinepetshop) and its only $30 extra but power consumption is twice. Need to consider this option in case the 6000L doesnt work? What do you reckon? Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Thierry

Pumping on a flat level surface is not an issue, it is when it pumps vertically that becomes the point of contention. When pumping vertically a load is applied to the pump. The operations manual will often have a recommended distance for the frog accessory in order for it to work effectively. Using a 3000-litre pump on a small 1500-litre pond might be excessive as you mentioned it also doubles the power consumption.  

Eric

Hi @Thierry  and @EricL 

.  Rest assured Thierry the horizontal  hose distance is not an issue for your pond,  

@EricL  is right in saying for your short distance 2m, pumping is not an issue . You  could go 10m hose and still not have issues. I am saying with a 2m pipe and slight rise less than 50cm out of the water the 6000 should perform well and operate a fountain  at the same time.

Too answer you question: You are saying you  need 70cm height that is for the actual fountain height right? The Bladgon has extention tubes for the  fountain to allow you to adjust the height of your water feature plus it has the flow control valve to adjust water coming out.

As you have lookup on  line each fountain head dose a different pattern  and alters in water height but this  is adjustable with fountain tube extentions  supplied with   the 6000 so you have many options.

9000  If you wanted to power a  large  gushing water fall using lots  of  water then get the 9000 but for your  fountain and frog.  Your frog will be washing your house windows with too much extra pressure.  You might need 6 frogs in a row just to drop that extra pump pressure or an  extra underwater  T  junction and valve  to relive  some of the unused  pump  pressure.  So  For your desired setup the I believe the 6000 will do you the job for you.

Hi @EricL and @Jewelleryrescue 

Thank you so much for going along with me on this journey - appreciated much.

I was doubtful due to the feedback from I received from retailers apparently 'pump experts'.

Some negative feedback: It's not designed to power water feature, can cause pump failure; the hose can only travel up to 75cm from fountain to water feature. If operate both fountain and water feature, the fountain pressure can go max 60cm high.

@Jewelleryrescue 70 cm height total - from the pond ground level to water splashing (fountain) , a total height of 70cm is sufficient to see the view from inside my living room. (Note: pond depth is 37cm + 33 cm for fountain

@EricL While I read the manual, it says inpond 6000L can power both fountain and water feature simultaneously. And the pump max head is 1.3m. No mention of recommended distance for water feature (frog) to work effectively

I will still be considering the 6000 L model as the 9000L consumes twice power. Whether or not, the frog feature will work, it is a bonus. Given the combined info, Im confident it will work.  

Thanks

Thierry

All good  @Thierry 

You can run a 5 - 10 meter 10mm dia hose to you frog it will still work it is not a  spiting alot of water to look good. Just make sure hose isnt kinked or squashed.

Well I am sure  would be interested to see a pic of you final  operating pond if you can spare a moment once its  all done.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects