Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to refresh my fish pond?

Thierry
Building a Reputation

How to refresh my fish pond?

Hi Team

I have an outdoor covered fish pond facing North east, capacity 1500 L.

Could you please advise:

1. A water pump, filter, uv light (all integrated ?) 

2. 3 pond lights?

3. Do i need to remove the middle  pot and install a new pump there? 

4. Im thinking if can fit through central pot water feature

My current pump with small integrated filter (after 2 years) is not pumping water although everything appears to be working. And it was connected to an external UV. Also, my 3 led lights are weakening now, need replacement. 

Need to fix this asap as theres 8 goldfish 

Thanks

Thierry 

IMG20221202081253.jpg

IMG20221202081259.jpg

Re: How to refresh my fish pond?

Hi @Thierry

Please make sure to post a photo update of the setup while you are preparing the pump. I'm sure our members would be keen to see what your pond will look like once you have everything installed. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Thierry
Building a Reputation

Hi @EricL and @Jewelleryrescue 

Hope you are all well.

I have just ordered online a sitting frog (wife preference), and it comes with a free 1m tube 10 mm diameter.

Screenshot_2022-12-06-16-02-09-30_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.jpg

Upon reading, Blagdon inpond 6000L has a 12.5mm hose for water feature.

1. Not sure if the free 1m tube will be useful as I will need approx 1.80 m tube.

2. @EricL Do you sell an adaptor conversion for 12.5mm to 10mm

I will send a photo once setup 😊

Cheers

Thierry

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Thierry

I suggest using the Holman 13mm Barbed Poly Joiner. If your 12.5mm pipe is too tight to fit on the 13mm barb end, I suggest placing the plastic hose in some very hot water to soften it up. Once the clear hose softens you can then push it into the barbed end. Just keep in mind that if you do need clear plastic tubing various sizes are available at the store.   

If you need further assistance, please let us know,

Eric

Hi @Thierry 

You will need the 1M of 10mm hose as it fits onto the frog .

Use EricLs  barbed 13mm to 10mm  joiner with a good length of 13mm  poly tube 13mm with no kinks in it.

On your buy trip to bunnings

I would take your  12.5mm barbed pump fitting and you  extra cute frog with its 10mm hose

To your Bunnings store  @EricL suggestion of the  Holman 13mm Barbed Poly Joiner. should work a treat with a little  soak of hoses in hot water.  From  what I can see 13mm poly tube in the hose aisle  most likley the best fit.

So as you find  barb joiner and  plastic hose them make sure bits fit together to you satisfaction and or seek out Bunning staff help.

I was at Bunnings today so i looked at these items for you.  You need the 13mm as you already have frog hose 10mm  Notice how the 10mm pipe wedges into 13mm pipe it is a easy tempary solution if you along way from a store. If it leaks a little no fowl as its in the pond basin. But get the poly joiner do it right. :).

hose fits it to  each otherhose fits it to each other

Hi @Jewelleryrescue amd @EricL 

Thanks for all your help.

I installed the pump 6000L

My observations:

1. The bell jet cannot go wider as the shape wont be uniform, so i kept it small to have maintain a nice shape 

2. Water feature hose fitting - although i close completely, i notice theres a small gap and water pressure is still flowing through it. If i block it on with my finger, the fountain pressure and shape is better

3. The water is getting more clear now after 15 hrs

My actions:

4. I replenished the pond with tap water to make it to the highest level

5. Should i clean the filters every day until the water is clear, and hopefully the fountain pressure will be higher and will make the fountain wider?

Have a great day

Cheers 

Thierry

IMG20221211103900.jpg

IMG20221211103923.jpg

  

Hi  @Thierry 

Great work on getting your pond up and running yes I have used bell shaped fountains they never really produce big displays as the water surface tension is what makes it work stops at a bigger scale all you can do is add extention tubes for a higher display. But the higher you go the bell  colapses in at the base too. So you are right about maintaining bell shape the other fountain jets  may suit your height   requirements for your viewing pleasure.

Thats going to  look great at night. Please add night photo. I see your frog is still waiting delivery.

Wait until the pond is clear  1  week for you uv light to kill alge then would be a good time to open the filter and gently squeeze filter sponges in a bucket of  pond water. As your not only keeping fish alive but a whole little  eco system ie the  bacteria that grows on your sponges and the bio media in bags at the base of your filter and your plants and a billions of little creature in between. Your pump is rated at 1500L/hour  that means your water is filtered once per hour.  So  in 24 hours thats 24 cleans now I hope you are glad you went for bigger pump as it does matter. One day that pump will fail so you can opt for a  blagon 9000 pump  if you wish I hope they sell them separataly.

On the sponge foam will grow good bacteria thats  part of the  Bio filter converting fish ammonia NH3 and NH4  to Nitrites NO2 and then again to Nitrate NO3 ready for your plant to consume and it makes some O2.  oxygen in return.

Keep in mind for  future filter  cleans sponges it should be rinsed in a bucket of  pond water and final rinse in second bucket.  This keeps bacteria alive and health.

It will take approximatly a month to grow the beneficial  bacteria in your new filter. (A bio filter kick starter could be added but not really necessary)  Typically a lot of fish  can die in this period in a  totally new pond. But your the pond has bacteria growing on pond walls and floor so that is why your fish are still alive .  (not if a fish dies or sick let me know I will try help you  via photos.)  But  clean water is a key step to fish health.

Top up water  once per week  as this  limits the chlorine doses in the pond. Chlorine is  dangerous to us bacteria and fish Imagine breathing chlorine thats your fish. There are pond  products that neutralize chlorine but adding smaller amounts of tap water is tolerable.

The slight leak I dont think that  going to haunt us as when your frog arrives and starts his water display that valve open,  Plus the  leak is inside the pond so water isnt lost. Oh if that tube 13mm tube is too big and leaks on blagdons 12.5mm barbed fitting just add some sticky or  duct or electrical tape wrapped on barb  to increase diameter a bit.. 

Really nice to see the near final outcome. :smile:

Hi @Jewelleryrescue and @EricL 

Hope you're well.

I changed to a higher fountain jet and it looks better. 

1. I got my frog today but have not connected it yet. Its about 25 cm height from above water level to frog hose.

2. The led light was blinking for 15 mins and then stop. Would you know why?

3. Connecting tubing on water tap - As you advised to top up water every week, im wondering with the extra 13mm tube (4metres), will this kind of tube be suitable to connect to the tap water? 

I also see there is currently an old black tube but too short. 

Either i make a new one or connect it to existing one?

It will be good for convenience i think.

IMG20221212205316.jpg

IMG20221212210847.jpg

IMG20221212203715.jpg

IMG20221212203728.jpg

Cheers

Thierry

Hi @Thierry 

That  night shot with the light and the fountain looks very special  I hope you are pleased with that result. Yes  higher fountain looks better and sounds nice too I am sure.

The clear hose generally speaking is not good for mains  tap Pressure but if it is open at the other end it can be used. If you block outlet in time it can swell up and burst.

Option 1

Simply put standard garden hose  real  near the tape if this suits you replacing the black  hose.

Option 2) 

But keep black hose  if you wish  and add some clear 13m hose to lenghten it  using  a joiner, ( Garden hose is also 13mm and can be used too. in the place of clear tube you may have an old hose you can cut up.)

Pope 19mm x 13mm Barbed Reducing Joiner I/N: 3126227 $1.38

That black hose is poly pipe used in  garden watering systems and looks like the standard 19mm dia. (Check diameter  with ruler please)  You can buy right angle bends for that pipe (as it will kink and pinch water off if you over bend it.)  See the plastic clip on the tap end . Thats how they  join easy to buy and low cost.

Option 3 

I am thinking you can extend that black  tube with a 1m hose peice to the  pond is 1M enough?  Or buy some more or longer length. (Make sure you soak hose ends in boiling water to soften it to push  fittings on.) You might consider pushing that hose down along under the deck to waters edge if you wish to hide it.

Holman 19mm x 1m Poly Pipe I/N: 3120555 $3.35

Red LED ?   there  is no meantion for any LED in the manual  except for the main water feature light?

look at your pump  model no etc, And ask your blagdon  supplier  they might be able to contact  Bladgon UK email blagdon uk and  ask them it might be a new feature and they have not updated their online manuals.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Thierry

Thank you so much for posting that update on your garden pond. That spray looks really nice, unfortunately, I'm not familiar with your pond pump functions. I suggest looking at the troubleshooting guide that is in your manual. It might have recommendations concerning the blinking of your LED light.

As for the black hose, you could utilize it for your pump, it's possible that it was linked to your old pump. It looks like it was using 13mm tubing, if you are connecting to it you'll need a barbed joiner that will fit into the black hose and the clear hose that you'll be connecting to.

In order to top up your pond with chlorine-free water, I suggest getting two large 20L buckets and filling them with water. Make sure that they are exposed to the sun for at least half a day of full sunlight. The UV rays of the sun will break down the chlorine in the water and you can then top up your pond.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Thierry
Building a Reputation

Hi @Jewelleryrescue and @EricL 

Thanks for keeping the ball rolling.

For simplicity, I think I will just get a garden hose connected to the tap.

1. However, I am also thinking maybe I could use the rain water, to top up the pond either from gutter or get a water tank? Any advice if use rain water?

@EricL I took your suggestion - used that black hose to connect the water feature fitting (and tape them, was leaking a bit but didnt affect the pressure).

2. That frog needs some lights at night. Maybe install a garden solar light next to it?

3. Do you reckon get some lights under water in corner of the pond ?

Many thanks

Thierry

IMG20221213190610.jpg

IMG20221213190507.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects