Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to regrout outside terracota tiles?

AshT
Finding My Feet

How to regrout outside terracota tiles?

Hi there,

I was hoping for a recommendation on a grout for regrouting my outside area. 

The tiles are terracotta and parts of the patio are around a pool.

Do you also think the tiles need to be resealed? We recently bought and I don’t think it’s been given any TLC for a good 10 years, I’m wanting to give the outside a facelift without having to rip up the existing older tiles.

Cheers 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to regrout outside terracota tiles?

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop @AshT. It's wonderful to have you join the community at this exciting time. Congrats on the new house. I'm sure you can put your own stamp on it in the coming months and years.

It would be helpful if you could please share some photos of the tiles so members could assess their condition and provide more helpful and specific advice about next steps. Please let me know if you need a hand uploading some. 

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'm keen to see those images @AshT, as they'll really help paint the picture of what you're working with.

You'll likely be able to use a standard exterior grout, and sealing the tiles would be a great choice once they've been cleaned.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell,

Sorry for the delay and thanks for the above.

Below are a picture. 

Cheers

1000010216.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @AshT,

Do you happen to know, or could you check, if these tiles are glued down or if they are placed down on a bed of sand? If they are glued down, you only need to clean out any loose grout and re-grout. You could do the same if they are only placed on sand, but since the grouting is solid and the pavers tend to move around on a sand base, you'll likely experience cracking in the future, which could be why the current grouting has failed.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell,

It looks like they've just been placed on a bed of sand.

Thanks

Ash 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Then, as mentioned, you could try to grout them, but the grout would likely crack again at some point @AshT. Alternatively, you can use products like Westbuild 20kg Pave N'Lock which is designed for setting the joints on paving.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects