Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove Whitco sliding door lock?

robv
Finding My Feet

How to remove Whitco sliding door lock?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Please help!

i cannot find the screws to remove the lock. Searched everywhere. See pics. 

I try forxi

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove Whitco sliding door lock?

Hello @robv 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about how to remove your Whitco lock.

Your second picture shows two countersunk holes with black covers on them. I believe these are screw covers that are hiding the locking screws. In order to remove the black plugs, I propose trying this method. I suggest using a small flat head screwdriver with a sharp tip. Your objective is to lift the cover cap so that it reveals the locking screw underneath. 

Once you manage to remove the cover caps you should be able to remove the screws that are holding the handle in place.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
robv
Finding My Feet

Thanks for taking time to answer Eric.

I tried, I even used a hammer to try to get through those 2 holes, nothing, it won't budge (didn't hit harder since it may all brake)

This is puzzling. Whoever designed this deserves a special place on this earth...

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @robv 

I propose engaging the services of a locksmith at this point in time. I'm afraid that it's time to call in the professionals to remove this lock for you. Any further force applied to it as you mentioned might damage the glass.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

robv
Finding My Feet

Can’t you just ask someone else on the team?

it is a very common lock yet not much on Google on it and I can’t afford a locksmith 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @robv,

As mentioned, the screws are likely under the black caps. At this stage, the caps have been pushed in so far that it wouldn't be possible to pull them back out again with a screwdriver. Are they made of plastic? If so, you could potentially drill them out, being exceptionally careful not to damage the screw head underneath. Alternatively, which I'd try first, you could take a timber screw and drive it in through the cap. If the screw can be drilled into the cap, then it will give you something to hold onto and pull out the cap.

A word of warning, it's best to avoid using hammers around windows as the glass can shatter exceptionally easily. Whilst working around the glass, remember your PPE, including safety glasses, cut-resistant gloves, a long-sleeved shirt and trousers and enclosed footwear.

Mitchell

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

At this stage I'd be using a drillbit and using it to remove the black covers where the screws will be underneath. 

Remarka6le

Thanks for taking time to answer me both.

It is puzzling, even though I am no handy man, that the screws would be in an inaccessible place. Those caps are not meant to be pushed. From what it seems, this is not a Whitco, as they even refused to help saying it's not theirs.

will probably keep searching

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It appears the caps have been pushed too far in @robv for the normal extraction methods to work. That could have been done by someone previously to you. I'm surprised there was no governor to stop them from being pushed in so far; perhaps it was done forcibly. When pushed in only so far as they are flush with the surface, a small flathead screwdriver can be placed in that little slot at the bottom, and you can flick the plug out.

Mitchell

excuse my ignorance.
These caps I should try to push to find hopefully the screws behind them?

robv_0-1706661142580.png

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects