Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove decking?

ennoh
Building a Reputation

How to remove decking?

I have to remove some outdoor decking.    I have made a good start but its hard yakka and the second half seems harder than the first.  I have mostly been using a reciprocating saw and a crowbar but I think that I now need a circular saw.   Am I on the right track?

decking pic 1.jpg

decking pic 2.jpg 

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: how to remove decking

Fantastic to see you back posting on Bunnings Workshop after some time @ennoh. Thanks for reaching out with your question. It does look like quite a task!

@EricL will be happy to help when he's back on the site on Friday. Let me also tag @DIYgals and @Adam_W who may be able to offer advice.

What is your plan for the space?

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ennoh
Building a Reputation

Thanks Stevie, we are having a termite control system installed and some of the baits will go under the decking, so we have to remove it for access.    We are going to put down wood chip and some stepping stones and keep the large planter box.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @ennoh

Thanks for sharing your current project with us. I suggest using the Hart 1200mm Wrecking Bar. It's long enough to provide you with adequate leverage for difficult-to-remove decking and is short enough that you can still use it in tight spaces. You can also use an Ozito PXC 18V Multi-Function Tool with a steel cutting blade. The blade will go in between timber and cut the nails making disassembly real easy.

You could also get a steel-cutting-rated blade for your reciprocating saw as an option. We would love to see any updates once you've remodelled the area.

Eric

ennoh
Building a Reputation

Thanks Eric,  Termite man is here today - and I had almost finished removing the part of the decking that he needed removing.  Fortunately he loaned me  something that looks like the multifunction tool and I removed one major part - but there's more but that can wait till tomorrow.    Not having had a response during the week I went to Bunnings and had a chat with a worker, and rather than buying a circular saw which I thought I needed, I persevered with the Hart wrecking bar and removed a lot of the wood - but its hard work!!    I saw an online video about the Ozita multi function tool and that is exactly what I need to finish the project.     Some of the area is quite narrow and the wrecking bar wont work there but the multi function tool looks like it will be really useful.pic3.jpg

ennoh
Building a Reputation

Will the  XU1 220 Multi function tool cut through steel?    A multi function tool would be really useful for the remaining decking...  The reviews are good but none of the reviewers mentioned cutting through nails.

AP2
Just Starting Out

I use my multifunction tool on nails all the time, it blunts the blade fairly quickly but works well

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @ennoh

The multi-function tool will cut through steel, but you will have to use a special blade such as the Diablo 65mm Ultimate Wood And Metal Multi-Tool Plunge Cutting Blade. Using the supplied blade from the pack will cut a few nails, but it will wear out really quickly.

Eric

ennoh
Building a Reputation

I have 75% of the decking removed and am up to the most difficult part.   The blade on the XU1 multi function tool is pretty useless so I will have to go out and get a Diablo blade tomorrow.    At one end of the demolition site the brick pathway joins it and I need to stabilise the bricks.    Is it best to (1) cement in the wood that had been there and onto which the decking was pest.jpgnailed - see pic attached OR (2) dig a small trench and fill it with fast setting cement? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @ennoh

If you are after a quick fix and plan on renovating the pathway within the next few weeks, you can place the timber right next to the bricks to stabilize it. You can then hammer in Growies 50 x 50mm 450mm Hardwood Steel Cap Garden Stake - 6 Pack to hold the timber in place. In this manner, you can remove it without too much trouble when you renovate the path.

However, if you are planning a semi-permanent fix then putting in some fast-setting cement is the way to go. Putting the timber at the front as formwork should be ok if it is still fixed in place. Please make sure to allow enough time for the cement to totally dry off to avoid distortion and cracking.

If you need further advice or information please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects