Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove fly screen frame?

ejo
Finding My Feet

How to remove fly screen frame?

My fly screen frame is secured by pop rivets all around, I can’t remove it to replace the fly

image.jpg

screen. I think I can access all of the spline, so I can attempt to replace the fly screen. Is replacing the flyscreen vertically or drilling the rivets out only options I have?image.jpg

ejo
Finding My Feet

Re: How to remove fly screen frame?

Sorry haven’t quite finished my question. I want to see my assessment of the flyscreen frame not removable without getting rid of the pivot nails is correct.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @ejo 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about removing your flyscreen frame.

If you look closely at your flyscreen frame is the rubber spline visible all around the frame? Or are parts of it hidden inside the aluminium frame of the window? If it is visible all around, I suggest leaving the frame intact and replacing the flyscreen from where it is positioned. 

There is no need to remove the frame as the flyscreen is accessible. This will save you from having to disassemble the frame and riveting the frame back onto the window. Yes, it is possible to replace the flyscreen even while the frame is attached to your window.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ejo
Finding My Feet

Hi Eric, thank you for your advice. I attempted to replace it today. I’m really happy with the result.

IMG_6024.jpeg

IMG_6026.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @ejo 

Thank you very much for posting that update on your fly screen. The replacement looks fantastic, should you need to replace the other fly screens in your house, just remember to observe carefully the position of the splines.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects