Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove leaking tap fitting?

ennoh
Building a Reputation

How to remove leaking tap fitting?

In my son's new home there is a tap fitting with a hose attached - but when the water is on, there's a big leak.   I have tried to remove the brass fitting but its just too hard. Any suggestions on what to do?

brassfitting1.jpgbrassfitting2.jpg

ennoh
Building a Reputation

Re: leaking tap fitting

forgot to mention - I cant get the fitting off - not strong enough or dont have the right tools...

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ennoh,

Is your son able to remove the fitting? It appears that the rubber washer between the plastic fitting and the tap has failed. It needs to be replaced, or a new GARDENA 13mm Universal Tap Nut Adaptor installed. You need to unscrew the plastic fitting off the tap in either case. A set of multi-grip pliers will assist in removing the fitting. Alternatively, a couple of layers of cloth might give you more grip.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ennoh
Building a Reputation

Thanks Mitchell,  we were thinking that the brass fitting has to be removed but we couldnt remove it - way to hard - thought we might need a special tool or Arnie Schwarzenegger to  help out.   So we dont have to do that?  Just do as you have said above?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

You'll just need to unscrew the black and orange plastic fitting off the brass tap @ennoh. Your tap is slightly unusual and could potentially have a click-on fitting on it already. This might be a case of someone incorrectly pushing a tap adaptor onto a click-on fitting. It's a bit hard for me to explain, but once you unscrew or pull off that plastic fitting, we will have a better idea of what is going on. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects