Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove scratches out of window glass?

Shaz2828
Finding My Feet

How to remove scratches out of window glass?

Hello,

my naughty pug has scratched the external glass on my windows. Any advice to get them out or less visible would be appreciated 

thank you 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove scratches out of window glass?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Shaz2828. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about restoring a glass window.

I'd recommend the Craftright 7 Piece Buffing Kit. It comes with various felt pads that can be used in a drill and a variety of cutting and polishing compounds. I suggest starting with the white polishing compound, and if you see no results, switch to the coarser brown cut & polish compound. With patience, you should be able to remove the scratches. Avoid the black compound unless necessary, as it will take some work to polish the glass back up again.

You might like to consider cutting a clear polycarbonate sheet to fit the window, which you can attach with clear double-sided tape. That way, when your naughty pug has another go at it, they'll only be scratching the sheeting.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hello,

I purchased the kit.

how do I apply the compound?
thank you 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Shaz2828,

Whilst the pad is spinning in the drill, place the compound block against it. The spinning motion will start cutting into the compound, which loads up the pad. It's the edge of the pad that you are applying the compound to and buffing with, not the face of the pad. Keep the steel bolt and washer well away from the glass. Your drill will be parallel or sideways to the glass whilst buffing and not in the position like you're about to drill into the glass.

Mitchell

IMG_20220822_084931_283.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you for your prompt reply ! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects