Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to renovate old outdoor furniture?

Sugar
Having an Impact

How to renovate old outdoor furniture?

Hi I found this funiture neglected in the street. I liked it and thought of giving new life to this furniture and keep it outdoor or on the patio. 

How can I start and what products are suitable for coloring this furniture? 

There are some damages on the wood ( indicated in Blue color), how can I fix this.

Sugar_0-1659578146270.png

Sugar_1-1659578184861.png

Sugar_2-1659578195453.jpeg

Thank you.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to renovate old outdoor furniture?

Hello @Sugar

What a fantastic find, this furniture is the perfect candidate for a makeover. If the cracks are only surface damage and have not travelled deep into the timber, I suggest using Timber Filler to fill the damage. However, before you buy your filler, it's important to decide if you are painting the seat or staining it. If you are staining the seat you'll need to match the filler with the colour of the stain you'll be using. A light-coloured filler for a light stain and a dark-coloured filler for a dark stain.

It seems the seat has been out in the elements for a few seasons, but I believe that it still has some life left in it. Before you start sanding it down make sure that the structure of the furniture is still sound. Once all the repairs have been taken care of you can begin your restoration.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the start of your furniture restoration.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Sugar
Having an Impact

@EricL Thank you for your prompt reply. I am planning to use paint, most probably white paint. I will make sure I use the mentioned wood filler. I already checked to the condition of the furniture and it still has some life, especially for lightweight people like me :). I am planning to put this on my newly tiled patio, which you and I have been discussing in a separate posts. I will keep you updated on this. Those cracks are just on the surface and have not traveled deep into the wood. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Sugar

It's good to know that the chair is still in good condition. Make sure to sand the timber very well, I suggest using a Ryobi 300W Random Orbital Sander to make sanding easy.

Eric

Sugar
Having an Impact

@EricL 

This is "before":

Sugar_0-1659875944212.png

This is "during":

Sugar_1-1659875994073.pngSugar_2-1659876014327.png

Sugar_3-1659876034235.png

This is "After":

Sugar_4-1659876065786.png

I did not waste any money on buying anything. I had a few paints left over from when we were painting our interior walls. I had sandpaper and some brushes left over from that time also. 

I spent some time sanding the whole furniture. My father and I spend some time sanding this furniture and applied double coat paint. It took almost 3 to 4 hours in total to finish this job. We are very happy with the result.  We used our unused paint sitting in the garage for a long time and we can put this on our patio where we are going to lay new tiles. 

Lesson learned: Try to give a new life to furniture if they have been neglected by the previous owner and if they are worth investing in materials. 

I will be looking for more opportunities like this to give a new life to old furniture. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Congratulations on a beautiful restoration, @Sugar! Your new furniture looks fantastic, and I trust it will serve you well for many years to come.

Many thanks for sharing your results.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects