Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repaint tired gutters?

mnczma
Getting Established

How to repaint tired gutters?

I have aluminium gutters that are looking tired and faded.  What materials and paint would people recommend to repaint properly. For reference, I am in WA.

I'm changing the colour, but from a olive greeny colour to black/charcoal, so won't have any issues with colour.  I think there is a black/charcoal colourbond paint colour, may use that. 

I've read a good clean and sand to remove any sheen from existing paint is the starting point, then prime and paint. 

* Is sugar soap required, or can a mild dishwashing soap mix do the job?

* What type and grit sand paper would be best? ie. wet n dry

* What primer is recommended and just 1 coat or 2?

* I've read acrylic paints are ok and a water based paint is of course the most user friendly.  Is there a specific type, ie for metal, to use? Or can I use any exterior paint? 

* What would you use to apply? A brush or are there special types of rollers for gutters?  Don't have a spray gun and my roof is white colourbond, so I wouldn't feel comfortable doing so anyway.

* The fascia is also Al, but there are some timber edges, As shown in photo below.  Would you use the same paint? 

Thanking you all in advance for your help. 

T

16891235461265172097459380779441.jpg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to repaint tired gutters?

HI @mnczma,

First, let me extend a warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community! It is awesome you have joined and thank you for your question about awakening your gutters. I think that your black/charcoal colour is a great choice and will look great for your gutters. Our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be online later this afternoon to assist so let me tag our knowledgeable members @TedBear@Dave-1, and @Dinny to check on the advice they would give. I recommend checking out this discussion How to paint gutters in the meantime. 

Feel free to ask questions at any point along your D.I.Y. journey, we are always happy to help. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good afternoon @mnczma 

I dont know if you need to sand the surface or sugar soap it and will bow out to someone that knows more then myself on that. Tho for the timber I am currently stripping back my front door because of that type of issue. For your Facia I would sand it back so you cant feel the paintline between the timber and wood then undercoat (or at least two-three coats) of the paint you use for the rest over it.

Do you know the state of the inside of tyour gutters? As in, is their rust ect inside? Whatever paint id use (and yeah I would go to Bunnings paint counter :smile: ) Id prob choose a medium and a small brush to apply the paint.

Dave

mnczma
Getting Established

Thanks Dave.  

I am actually in the middle of painting my front door also and considered the same paint might be useful for the timber. 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@mnczma 

:smile: hahahahahha Well truth be told Id probarly think the same. And the paint people would have heart attacks! I know there are different paints for metal and timber generally. But having to strip my door back before redoing it all means I will be heading into the paint shop for sure and getting the right undercoat and top coats. Whomever did my doors previously put water based over gloss? tho not sure but it all flakes badly. 

Err on the side of caution, The bunnings paint guys know more :smile:

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @mnczma 

Thanks for sharing your question about repainting your tired gutters. I recommend having a good look at this discussion - How to spray paint an old Colorbond shed? by @Smithrj. I'm aware that you don't want to spray paint your gutters, but it's the preparation steps that I need you to have a look at. They are applicable to your metal gutters. 

If your gutter is made from Colorbond, the paint on it will often not peel away but turn powdery as the seasons pass. I suggest looking at the gutter and see if any of the paint is peeling or if there is a light powdery coat on its surface. If there is it will need to be washed off.

However, if the paint has cracked or started to peel, it will be necessary to sand all the damaged areas and remove as much of the old paint from the surface of the gutter. I recommend using 240grit sandpaper in combination with a scraper.

@Dave-1 is spot on when he mentioned that there are different paints for timber and metal. A good primer to use would be the White Knight Rust Guard Grey Quick Dry True Bite Primer Paint in combination with the White Knight Rust Guard Topcoat. This paint system will work with your fascia as well.

A single coat of primer is often enough to prepare the surface for painting. A minimum of two coats is recommended for the topcoat.  

As for the timber part of your roofing, the exterior paint you are using for your door should be sufficient to use. Please remember to sand the surface of the timber you are repainting.

My best advice would be to use the best brush your budget can afford so that you will have a superior finish. 

I also recommend having a look at this guide since you'll be working at height - How to use ladders safely by @Adam_W.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and mask when working on your gutter.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

mnczma
Getting Established

Thanks EricL

I have worked out it's definitely a steel/colourbond gutter, thanks to a step stool and magnet 😆

The paint looks faded,  not flaking. My partner says the paint is powdery. 

Thanks

T

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @mnczma 

Now that you've identified they type of gutter you have, just follow the preparation steps outlined for cleaning a Colorbond shed. Please make sure that the surface is totally dry before you begin painting the gutter.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects