Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair Blueboard rendered column?

Phils
Just Starting Out

How to repair Blueboard rendered column?

Hi guys, as per the photos we have outdoor columns made of blue board and rendered, they have been damaged by growing wisteria, which we have removed, and now we want to repair them, so looking for suggestions as how to fill and reinstate them back to original, thanks.IMG_2181.jpegIMG_2180.jpegIMG_2179.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Repairs to outside column

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Phils. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repair rendered coloumns.

That's some fairly extensive damage to the columns, and the underlying boards have been broken. The correct repair method would be removing and replacing the broken board, which will be a pretty extensive project.

If you push on these damaged areas, does the board flex in at all, or is it rigid? If there is no flex, then you could potentially patch over the area with Rockcote 20kg Render Patch And Prep, following up once it has dried with a render coat.

Given the extent of the damage, it might be worth having a tradesperson look over the column to see if its structural integrity has been compromised. I presume there is an internal post supporting the timber above, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell, thanks for the advice. The columns are built around steel frames so are very rigid and there is no board flex, I’m sure there is no problem with the structural integrity so I shall try your suggestions, cheers Phil.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Phils 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your column repaired.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects