Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair a Colorbond fence?

surfergirl77
Finding My Feet

How to repair a Colorbond fence?

hi guys

I need a colourbond fence repaired and the middle sheets are uneven, and I need them straighten like the side ones are and extra screws with the poles in the middle that's holding the fence up because we have strong winds in Goulburn NSW, and I just need some tips of what screws to used and what's the best cordless drill to used too. Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: repairing a colourbond fence

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @surfergirl77. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing a Colorbond fence.

Colourbond is the company that coats the steel, but your fencing would have been supplied by another manufacturer. So, you'll need to determine the type of fencing that you have and follow their guide on what screws are required for the posts. Here's Lysaght's (one of our suppliers) guide for installation in cyclonic areas. For the screws that secure the panels to the posts, they suggest using Zenith 12G x 45mm Galvanised Hex Head Metal Screws.

Any drill driver would be capable of installing those screws, but if you wanted a suggestion, I'd recommend going for the Ryobi 18V ONE+ Drill Driver Kit. It's a great drill that will handle just about all the jobs around your home. I have one and use it for everything. You might also like to have a read through this Best Advice article on How do you choose a cordless drill?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

hi Mitchell

thank you for your post

I haven't used any cordless drills in my life but I'm always up to learn and giving a go.

what type of drill pieces would you recommend for the job.

bernadette

Hi @surfergirl77,

Those screws are self-drilling, so they don't require a drill bit, but you will need a 5/16 nutsetter to drive the screws in. Here's a helpful guide on How to use power drills.

Regarding general-purpose drill bits for other jobs, check out How to choose the right drill bit for the job.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell

When I mention a while ago in regards of the repairing a colour bond fence and when U mention manufacturer  supplier it was hire hubby in Goulburn but I ain't sure what type of screws they had used and when I try to contact them last year sometime they didn't even try to ring & text me and that's why I'm taking the plunge to doing it myself cause my housemate has a mild disability so that's why I'm been getting ideas of how to doing and what type of screws etc I need.

Cheers

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @surfergirl77 

Before you begin, I suggest doing a practice run on some timber off cuts. This will familiarize you with drill handling, holding the screw in position and how much force you need to use to hold on to the drill.

I suggest drilling in a few screws and uninstalling them along with changing the drill bit. Keep practicing until you feel confident on how to handle the drill. When you feel you've done enough practice you can then begin your repair job.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects