Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair a slightly leaning timber fence? Can't close gate.

ivanptr
Making a Splash

How to repair a slightly leaning timber fence? Can't close gate.

20231004_115648.jpg

20231004_115644.jpg

20231004_115348.jpg

20231004_115339.jpg

20231004_115312.jpg

   

is there any way to fix this which wont be too expensive ?

what kind of tradies should we hire ? carpenter , handyman ?

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to repair a slightly leaning timber fence? Can't close gate.

Afternoon @ivanptr 

Mmmmm to fixing it that wont be too expensive.

A cuple of questions first before an idea or two.

Whats the height difference from the bottom of the fence to the ground next to the house?

What is the distance between the fence and the house wall?

The fence appears to be leaning as its loosing its foundation ability (I have the same issue but on a much smaller scale)

The gate is being squished between the fence and the house. (Same issue I have)

For the imediate issue I actually shaved off 1cm of the gate :surprised: I just removed the metal lock and then ran the circular saw down the gate. Admittedly I intend to replace the gate at some point not too far along so I wasnt too fussed about asthetics :smile:

For my issue of the gate being squished by my fence leaning I have thought of a top rail across the gate to the house wall to "support" it. Tho not sure if this is totally wise.

The last one is going to be the wisest and also the most expensive thing. It really looks like you will need a retaining wall as "wasting" will happen to the soil that underpins your fence. A cheapish retaining wall that you can build is a gabion wall (Yes I do like them) It will allow water to come through.plus give enough strength to the wall/fence. There are also bricks that lock together and that can depend on the height you want the wall to be at. 

Just looking at the last photo again and it ooks like you have retaining bricks this side of the gate, do you have others that have been removed?

Dave

Thanks @Dave-1 

my god , theres a lot of things to consider . give me some time to measure when i get back home , will update u with more details.

so much headache😑

now im reading this article:

https://jims.net/how-to-fix-a-leaning-fence-without-replacing-it/

its says $400-1000 for repair , and its possible to do partial alignment

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @ivanptr 

Noooo lol Not a lot really. Start at the reason why is the fence starting to lean.

Then how to fix it either temporarily or permantly.

Then Time to do whichever way.

Finally, How long do you want the "fix" to last. We were just talking about this type of deal earlier. All my life I have had to do "Temorarily permanant" fixes for jobs which means get something working as well as you can as fast as you can that will last as long as you can. I hate with a vengence having to go back anbd rework a project but thats me. There are all sorts of reason everyone chooses how to thats what makes this page so good. 

Looking at that article, it dosnt deal with the way your fence is being undermined as there is nothing to stop that soil/clay from wasting away. Even if you drove a deeper post into teh soild its still got nothing your side to hold it up type deal. You could put in temorary stays that will hold it up and at the same time that would take the weight off your gate. But you will need to look at the fence posts being supported somehow.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @ivanptr 

Its' good that @Dave-1 has given you very sound advice regarding your fence. The ideal repair method is to disassemble your fence and dig new foundations for the fence post. It will need to be deeper as the surrounding soil is too soft. The retaining wall will also need to be rebuilt. At this point in time, if you're not prepared to replace your fence, I can only suggest putting supporting posts in front of the fence to slow down the lean. 

In regards to the fence door, I propose trimming it down so that you'll be able to close it. It's an easier option rather than trying to reposition the post.  

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects