Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair and paint rust on downpipes?

Fossil1
Getting Established

How to repair and paint rust on downpipes?

I have metal down pipes painted white, that are showing areas of rust at the bottom, otherwise in good condition. My husband has alzheimers and no longer into house maintenance so advice needed on what to do, and what products to buy. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to repair and paint rust on downpipes

Hello @Fossil1

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question bout your downpipe.

Normally for rusty metal, I recommend White Knight 0.125L Rust Guard Rust Converter. But before purchasing it, I suggest having a good look at the pipe. Is it rust spots? Flaking rust? or damaged rusted area. Usually, if an area is just rusty, I suggest giving it a good clean with a wire brush and sandpaper. Once all the loose rust has been removed then you can paint it with Rust Converter.

After the rust converter has done its job, you can then spray it with White Knight 300g White Rust Guard All Purpose Primer. This will seal the rust in and protect the downpipe from rusting further. The last step is to paint it with White Knight 1L White Gloss Rust Guard Quick Dry Advanced Enamel Paint.

I suggest checking your garage to see if you have any of these items. It may be a different brand but the purpose of the paint will be indicated on the tin. The keywords you're looking for are rust converter, primer and enamel paint. 

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the affected area? This will allow our members to assess its condition. We can then make recommendations on how to proceed. 

If you need assistance posting the photos, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Fossil1
Getting Established

Thanks Eric very helpful. I believe rust only superficial. 

Christina 

IMG_0008.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi Christina (@Fossil1

I'm not entirely convinced that the areas I've circled in green are rust. It could be, but the colour doesn't really look like it. I'd suggest the main site of rust would be the join I've circled in red, and then you have the staining down the side of the outlet. 

By following @EricL's method above, you'll be able to stem this rust for some time. However, it's likely blooming inside the fitting, which is hard to access. The rust will return at some stage. If you're unable to complete the full steps above, I'd suggest you clean the area thoroughly and spray over it with Dulux 300g Metalshield Epoxy Enamel Gloss Spray Paint White. That will not assist with the rust, but it will cover it for a while. The bottom outlet will eventually rust out, and you need to replace it, but as a band-aid solution, spraying over the rust will improve the look.

Please let us know if you have questions.

Mitchell

Thankyou I will take yours and Eric’s advise on board. Appreciate the help 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated @Fossil1. Don't hesitate to reach out any time you need assistance or have something to share.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects