Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair and repoint an old cement tile roof?

Honest52
Cultivating a Following

How to repair and repoint an old cement tile roof?

IMG_20210613_094656 Craigieburnhse.jpgDo anyone have good advice on DYI old cement tiles roof of the property built in 1960?

I will buy materials and tools from bunning for repair and repointing/rebeding. Which materials are good?

Also, it seems some of the roof tile crack and need to be replaced or repaired.

So I will buy new cement tiles and replace it.

From Bunning homepages, I learn that the procedure will be somewhat as follows:

1. Replace the broken tiles with new tiles

2. Repointing the ridges and rebeding with Dunlop 

3. Repair the chimney, flanges, or flashes of the exhaust pipe by patch tape

4. Apply additional coating of the primer or waterproofer to the rusty area of gutters after cleaning

5. High pressure water cleaning the roof and gutters, and downpipes

All comments or advice are welcome?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Repair and repointing an old cement tiles roof built in 1960

Hi @Honest52,

It sounds like you have a fairly good idea of what must be done. If you can show us some images of the areas that need repair, our helpful members might be able to provide further advice.  

Start by carefully removing the broken tiles, ensuring you don't damage the surrounding tiles. Install the new tiles, making sure they fit snugly and are properly aligned. 

Clean the ridges thoroughly, removing any loose or deteriorated material compound. Apply the Dunlop bedding compound to create a solid base for the ridge tiles. Repoint the ridge tiles, ensuring the joints are properly filled and finished. A small pointing trowel and tuck pointing trowel will come in handy.

Patch tape can be effective for temporary repairs, but it's best to replace any damaged or degraded flashing materials for a long-term solution. If you do decide to patch the flashing, ensure the patches are applied securely and sealed properly to prevent water leakage.

Make sure you clean the gutters thoroughly, removing any debris or loose rust with a wire brush. Apply your waterproofer to the rusty areas. Apply the coating evenly, following the manufacturer's instructions, and allow it to dry completely before exposing it to moisture.

Use caution when using high-pressure water cleaning on the roof and gutters to avoid damaging the tiles or causing leaks.

Ensure you have proper safety equipment, including gloves, eye protection, and sturdy footwear. Also, have a read-through of this topic on How to use ladders safely.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Honest52
Cultivating a Following

Re: Repair and repointing an old cement tiles roof built in 1960

Thanks Mitchell for your valuable advice.

I bought repointing and waterproofing sealer, etc to repair the old roof and gutters.  The leaks of the roof is fixed.  In long term, the old tiles probably to be replaced with new tiles or metal roof. I will keep on repair regularly. Its great that Bunning is very helpful in advice how to repair.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects