Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair cracked Terrazzo floor?

yng7
Cultivating a Following

How to repair cracked Terrazzo floor?

How do I repair cracked terrazzo flooring located just outside the building entrance?

085DC653-9D69-4CE3-9F0E-B2BC03EFA5A8.jpeg77B9CE0B-BFFF-45BB-ABE3-2F6AB0A2190A.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair cracked Terrazzo floor?

Hello @yng7 

Thanks for sharing your question about your terrazzo floor. The best we can do for this type of damage is to cover the cracks to prevent any more water and dirt from entering the crack.

I suggest getting a BBQ stick and your vacuum cleaner to dig out all the dirt and debris that has settled inside the crack. Once you've cleaned it as best you can, I recommend using Selleys 440g No More Gaps Bricks and Mortar Gap Filler. If you find that the black colour is too strong you can also have a look at Selleys 415g Brick And Concrete Sealant which dries in a grey colour.

Here is a handy step by step guide: How to silicone seal a bath. (the techniques used are applicable to your terrazzo floor)

My only tip is to make sure that the silicone does not get wet while it's curing. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
yng7
Cultivating a Following

Thanks, Eric.

yng7
Cultivating a Following

Hi Eric,

I have finally got to tackle this task; however, it looks very unevenly finished. How can I smooth out the surface? Sandpaper?

And how I can store the rest of the sealant without it drying out?
What other ways/repairs can I use the sealant for? Could I fill up small holes in driveway asphalt?

BeforeBeforeAfterAfterVery uneven finishVery uneven finish

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @yng7 

In order to preserve the remaining sealant, I suggest removing the nozzle and covering the top of the bottle with plastic cling wrap twice and then re-attaching the nozzle back on. Place the sealant in a cool dry place where it is not exposed to ambient heat.

If you find that the surface of the sealer is too rough, I suggest using a flat stone or brick and running it over the surface to reduce its roughness.

In regards to using it on your asphalt driveway, I suggest testing one hole first to see if it will adhere to the surface. Keep in mind that it might be necessary to do several applications as the filler might settle.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

yng7
Cultivating a Following

Thanks for your help, Eric. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated @yng7, and please reach out again if you get stuck or have further questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects