Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair leaking in-ground pool pipe?

jeffzhang
Getting Established

How to repair leaking in-ground pool pipe?

1BCAE8A1-F2DA-485D-9A9A-3E84A4FDCD25.jpeg

77124AB8-80D5-436D-865A-BF92FBD6EB1C.jpeg

  

Hi,

My inground pool pipe is leaking. Water comes off ground (return side) after pump running about 20mins. I locate the leak after digging a big hole. The leak is from the crack of a return pipe angle. I broke another when I digger it. How do I fix them. Also is underground pipe different from the normal pipe? What material and tools do I need? 
Thanks very much.

DIYGnome
Making a Splash

Re: inground pool pipe repair

Hello @jeffzhang looks like regular old PVC pipe to me (have seen similar with dedicated sprinkler/watering systems), you're going to need to cut out the effected section and replace them, the difficulty lies in getting the correct diameter pipe (and press couplings), you will also need PVC pipe glue which essentially plastic welds/bonds pipes (through a chemical reaction) together permanently.  

When you can cut out the damaged section, do a dry run on the coupling and new section of pipe first, the glue dries quickly and best to know all components fit well be fore applying any. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @jeffzhang,

It is great to see that @DIYGnome has been assisting, and they've recommended a great method for resolving the issue.

Typically, pressure pipe is used for pool pipe. A plumber would likely cut the pipe where I've marked it below with red lines. They'd then use couplings of the correct size glued onto the cut ends. Using sections of new pipe they'd extend the old pipe and recreate the corner with an elbow. The section on the straight pipe will have a new section of pipe glued between the two couplers.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell,

The pipe has 50mm diameter, it seems hard to bend it when put new elbow on or join new sections together on the straight pipe. Can I bridge them? Is there any better or easier way?

Also is pressure pvc class 12 pipe strong enough in this case?

thank you

Jeff

Thanks @DIYGnome 

the pipe had OD 50mm, but it is thinner. Don’t know where to find this old pipe. Do they have to have same thickness?

thanks

jeff

Hi @jeffzhang,

The couplers allow you enough room to slip the pipe in between them. It's some fairly tight tolerances, but there should be enough play to install the new pipe and fittings. This is where a plumber's skill comes into play, as they know exactly where to cut to get everything to fit.

Class 12 pipe is what would be used for pool pump pipe. There is the lesser class 9, but class 12 should be used on pools and spas. As long as the OD is the same as the class 12, you should be able to use the fittings to join them.

Mitchell

Thanks Mitchell,

there is one more thing I need to know. The pool is full of water. I blocks the intake so the water doesn’t come out, but it is not completely isolated. There is still a little bit water run out. Do I have to drain water out to make sure pipe is dry for the job?

thanks

jeff

It's best to try and stop the water flow completely @jeffzhang. Is the water running out or just dribbling? If it's a minimal amount of water, you could plug the pipe with a rag whilst you glue the joint. Just remember to pull the rag out afterwards.

If you intend on doing this work yourself, please wear appropriate PPE, including gloves, safety glasses and a face mask.

Mitchell

Thank you very much Mitchell ! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects