Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair mailbox interfering sliding gate?

dino87
Finding My Feet

How to repair mailbox interfering sliding gate?

We have a mailbox and a sliding gate in our driving way. One day, we accidentally left the mailbox slightly open, causing the gate to damage the mailbox handle. Now, I'm thinking about removing the handle to prevent further interference with the gate. Any simple suggestions or better solutions are welcome.  

1000002589.jpg

1000002588.jpg

1000002587.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to repair mailbox interfering sliding gate?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @dino87. It's great to have you join us. Please don't hesitate to post anytime you need a hand or have a project to share with other members.

Given the extent of the damage to the mailbox, and that it's likely to happen again, I suspect the best approach might be to replace it. If you could please share the mailbox's dimensions, perhaps one of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts can suggest some suitable replacements for you.

Other community members might have some other suggestions.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @dino87 

Thanks for sharing your question regarding your mailbox. I agree with your proposal of removing the lock. It is the in fact the cause of the damage to your mailbox door. I also recommend carrying out some repairs to the mailbox door so that it will be flat again. Once it is nice and flat, I propose installing the Taskmaster 46mm Black Magnetic Door Catch - 3 Pack. These magnetic door catches will keep the mailbox door from accidentally flipping open. The hole where the lock use to be can now serve as a hand hold to open the mailbox.

Another proposal is to deactivate this mailbox and install a Sandleford Black Napoli Wall Mount Letterbox on the non-sliding portion of your gate where it won't get in the way. One more mailbox option is to use a Northcote Pottery Grey And Charcoal Elite Avonlea Pillar Letterbox along your driveway if allowed.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Hi EricL,

Thanks for your response. I found it very helpful.

I bought another mailbox from Bunnings (Same as the original one).

I am planning to install: https://www.bunnings.com.au/taskmaster-46mm-black-magnetic-door-catch-3-pack_p0035553.

How can I remove the existing mailbox?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @dino87,

I'd start by taking a look inside the mailbox to see if any screws are fixing through the walls of it into the surrounding frame. If there are, remove those to see if it frees up the mailbox.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects