Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair render?

rc1
Finding My Feet

How to repair render?

IMG_2796.jpegIMG_2797.jpeg
How can I repair this render? The pavers will be replaced soon.

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Render repair

Hi  @rc1 

I probably would wait till after you take the tiles off first as a  that vertical face may  get more damage during that removal process. And any repair job you do maybe damaged a bit.

There are several options you may wish to consider. 

If that render is sitting proud and extending from under the tiles  (you also said you are planning tile removal.) 

Basically grind the render back flat and  even. Later re tile over exposed face or leave a cleaned fresh concrete  edge. Various disk sizes to suit your grinder .  If you dont own a grinder an ozito brand grinder will suit smaller projects very cost effective.

Flexovit 125 x 22.23mm Stripping Ripper Grinding Disc I/N: 0116161  $33.61

I would  use it on a angle grinder and angle grinder it is very aggressive at material removal of many types and will take render and cement off very quickly but expect lots of  dust and wear good mask and goggles and leather gloves . 

Your pressure will control material removal rates from a deep grind to a whisker off. 

If you have any uneven spots after tile removal  like raised grout lines this grinder disk will pay for itself.

OR buy a bag of premixed sand cement and mix it to tooth paste consistany by gradually adding water and fill  the hollows in the render flush.

A board or old straight palling propped against the re rendered step may help hold the mixture in place if it is a bit wet and is slouching. Day two the cement is still soft but firm and you can use a steel trowel and scrape off and level  any imperfections.

Or  Simply re  tile across the voids as there is tile glue contact at the top and bottom of the voids.

Tile  removal  tip: Consider using 

Ozito 1500W 5J Rotary Hammer Drill Kit RHD-1550 I/N: 0382377   99.98

And buy an additional 80mm approx  SDS+  chisel bit to suit the hammer tool.

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to repair render?

Hello @rc1,

Great to see you've received advice from @Jewelleryrescue on repairing render. Let me also tag our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL for his thoughts.

While waiting, you may like to have a read through this popular discussion How to repair the render by @Jolly181 as well as the Bunnings guide How to render in case they help.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Render repair

Hello @rc1 

Thanks for sharing your question about how to repair render. If you are after a temporary repair, I suggest using Earl's 500g Concremate Expanding Cement. Please note that should the surrounding render in the repair area be weak it will get more damaged as Concremate is an expanding filler.

I agree with @Jewelleryrescue's suggestion and that is to wait for the pavers to be replaced. In that way you only have to repair the render once. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects