Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair this concrete wall?

FredWork
Growing in Experience

How to repair this concrete wall?

Hello,

As you can see from the image, I have this concrete damage on my unit balcony. I'm hoping I can use a concrete filler of some sort.

Just wondering, do you have any recommendations. Happy to answer questions.

Screenshot_20230910-155208_1.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Concrete repair - best product to use?

Hi @FredWork,

You could use a product like Earl's 1kg Concremate Expanding Cement to repair this area, but it's likely not going to be an invisible repair; you'll see the patched area. However, given this is a balcony, I would encourage you to enlist the services of a professional, like a structural engineer, to assess why this damage has occurred as it's a little unusual. It is important to determine that this isn't a structural issue with the balcony that could compromise its integrity.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
FredWork
Growing in Experience

Thanks @MitchellMc. I will try to get an assessment and see how it goes.

Although, it just seems to be neglect over time (by previous owners/tenants).

FredWork
Growing in Experience

Follow-up question @MitchellMc :

I used the product a week ago and after it set, it seems to be pretty chalky/powdery and easy to sand. It's not anywhere near hard concrete despite the warm weather.

Any pointers?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair this concrete wall?

Hi @FredWork,

I'd take this opportunity to sand the cement and make everything look consistent. The product can take up to 28 days to set harder than concrete. If, after that period, it's still soft, let me know, and I can follow up with the supplier.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
FredWork
Growing in Experience

Re: How to repair this concrete wall?

Thanks @MitchellMc, that makes sense and I have sanded a fair bit after you mentioned this. It's looking like it's already hardened more but 2 more weeks to go.

Thanks!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects