Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace non-standard brick vents?

blt
Finding My Feet

How to replace non-standard brick vents?

Hi,

I have a set of rusted brick vents caused by blocked stormwater pipes over several years. The stormwater pipes issue has been fixed and I'd like to replace the brick vents but they appear to be a non-standard size.

My brick vents are 290x145 mm and the bricks are 295x67 mm.

Bunnings stock brick vents that are 230x165

https://www.bunnings.com.au/builders-edge-230-x-165mm-galvanised-brick-vent_p0811036

Are there any wider options available or do I need to custom make my own?

Thanks

IMG_20220418_093623989.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace non-standard brick vents?

Hello @blt

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about replacing non-standard brick vents.

The closest panel I could find in size is a Haron 300 x 150mm Silver Aluminium Pressed Wall Vent. But this will have to either be screwed on or glued to the brick. If you're worried about the vent openings you can bend the openings wider with a pair of pliers. The best part of this vent is that it is made of aluminium and therefore will not rust even when exposed to heavy rain or moisture.

The other option is to make a custom wall vent. I suggest using Metal Mate 0.5 x 300 x 900mm Plain Aluminium Sheet and drilling 12mm holes in the face to give you maximum ventilation. I've placed a sample sketch so you can see what it might look like. 

Let me tag our experienced members @Adam_W and @TedBear for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects