Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace old outdoor light bulb?

bornToDIY
Growing in Experience

How to replace old outdoor light bulb?

Hi

My outdoor light bulb has expired.  The previous owners put this 60w 240V E27 light into a 50w 250V body (see pic).

It seemed to work fine for a long time but now I need to replace it.

Questions:

1.  Are 50w 250V bulbs still available these days?  I can't see any online yet.

2.  Was there an issue using the more common 60w bulb in the 50w body?

3.  Can I safely use an LED bulb for this?  Which one?

4.  Can you please recommend a bulb at Bunnings or elsewhere?

Thanks

outdoor-light.jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to replace old outdoor light bulb?

Good Afternoon @bornToDIY 

Yeah I have done the same as the previous owners :smile: It looks like an old incadesent lamp to me and sad to say they arnt around (I liked the brigtness of the globes)

You can safely put a LED style light in its place (If its dimable then you will have an issue, if its just switched then no problems)

There are a bunch of examples usually at the front of a Bunnings store about various styled lights. The boxes also say how "equililant" they are to an incadescent styled bulb. On the box it should state how "warm" or cold (think incandesent) the light itslef looks.

Take the bulb out first to see if its a baionette "b" or a edison screw "es" so you get the right type bulb for your light.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace old outdoor light bulb?

Hi @bornToDIY 

I'm in total agreement with @Dave-1's recommendation. It's definitely possible to replace a standard incandescent 50w 240V lamp with an LED one. I suggest bringing the lamp with you on your next visit to the store, you can then compare it to the LED lamp for size and length. There are quite a few to choose from, I propose having a look at the Click 6W 470lm A60 Cool White LED E27 Globe - 2 Pack. This has the equivalent brightness of a traditional 50w incandescent lamp.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects