Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace pavers laid on concrete?

Home2
Just Starting Out

How to replace pavers laid on concrete?

D0874B56-5449-483C-99CE-7FC877A3DED7.jpeg

29645586-FAAF-4F87-9336-B6EB9634E7E5.jpeg

C677B5C0-0574-454C-BB6B-8362B837985C.jpeg

Hi all

Hoping you could help with a few questions about paving. I need to replace some pavers that have been laid on concrete. A couple have cracked and a few more are loose so I wanted to replace about 8 of them in the line (see photo). They have been laid on concrete (see photo) with some kind of adhesive but after 15+ years in the sun and rain they have started to become loose. 

1.  What is the best adhesive to use to stick them to the concrete?

2.  What is the best grout to use?

3.  What is the best sealer to use?

4.  Any tips on the steps to do it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I don’t have any experience doing this kind of thing!

cheers, Home2 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: backyard paving

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Home2. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about relaying pavers.

If you thoroughly clean the bottom on the pavers and the concrete, then Selleys 415g Liquid Nails Landscape Stone Concrete Adhesive would be suitable for sticking them down.

To grout them, something like Davco 15kg #70 Cornsilk Sanitized® Colourgrout would be best.

You'd want to give them a good clean down with a high-pressure sprayer first, and then you can apply Berger Jet Dry 1L Stone & Paving Natural Sealer.

I'd recommend you start by removing the pavers and chipping off any of the existing grout. A Trojan 38mm Fibreglass Scutch Hammer will come in handy for this. Once the grout is removed, you can glue the pavers down, spacing them evenly to allow grout to be added later. Take note of the gap used previously and find some strips of timber or something to assist you in keeping the gaps consistent. Once the glue is dry, you can grout the pavers, making sure to clean up any residue on their surface as soon as possible.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell, thanks for the speedy and helpful reply! That all seems pretty straightforward so I will give it go. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated @Home2, and reach out if you get stuck. We're here to help.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects