Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace rotting wooden steps?

judithoj
Just Starting Out

How to replace rotting wooden steps?

We have received two quotes from carpenters/builders to replace these wooden steps.  Both are well above our budget.  Would we be crazy to DIY this project?  Do you think this is something we could do through Bunnings?   The steps are rectangle except for four panels that have a curve - shown in photo.  Thank you for any advice and tips.  First home renovators!

IMG_0349.JPGIMG_0350.JPGIMG_0351.JPGIMG_0352.JPG

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace rotting wooden steps?

Hello @judithoj

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your wooden steps.

Ultraviolet rays from the sun slowly breaks down the lignin in the timber cellulose causing a photochemical degradation. This occurs in any wood exposed to sunlight. The result is a change in the wood's appearance from its original colour to a gradual silvery grey sheen. Plus, exposure to the weather will also encourage the growth of moss and mould on the timber surface.

Looking at the photo you posted, I believe your steps are still structurally sound. However, if parts of the step break and crumble when you step on them or the surface compresses and you leave large dents in the timber step then it is time to replace it. But if it's only surface damage, I suggest trying this cleaning method.

I recommend using Feast Watson 1L Woodclean in combination with an Oates Long Handle Deck Scrub Brush. The wood cleaning solution is a powerful, oxalic acid-based preparation treatment that aids the removal of oils, mould, stains and tannins from new and weathered timber. It's ideal for rejuvenating grey, weathered timber, Woodclean is suitable for restoring decking, outdoor furniture, fences, pergolas and other exterior woodwork.

Once you've cleaned and restored the timber steps, you can re-stain and varnish the steps to the colour of your liking.

However, if you still wish to replace the timber steps, I suggest measuring each step and the circular part at the top of the landing. I propose measuring it as a standard square as you'll need to use the old set as a template when you cut the replacements. I recommend speaking to the trade team member at the trade desk and seeing if they have timber steps that are compatible to the ones that you currently have.

Here are some handy step-by-step guides: (the techniques used are applicable to your timber steps)

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects