Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace single fence paling?

tamsynde
Finding My Feet

How to replace single fence paling?

A small portion at the top of one of our fence palings seems to have broken off (thinking maybe during some recent storms).

Any suggestions of how we would go about replacing this? The wood sitting horizontally across the fence also appears to stop short for some reason.

To add some additional complexity, the other side of the fence is currently an empty lot (slated for some construction to start in a few months) so not sure how to get to the other side/who to work with who owns the land so hoping to manage on our side.

Messenger_creation_7350e114-f66f-4b2c-99ed-954ba4db9ea9.jpeg

The bottom of the fence is also pulling away a little bit to the side of this too 

Messenger_creation_685b90f8-24a1-4a07-b47a-e49c12978506.jpeg

Any guidance would be really appreciated :smile:

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Replacing single fence paling

Hello @tamsynde 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about your fence.

In order to repair your fence from your side, I suggest cutting the top portion of the damaged area straight. Next, measure the area that needs to be replaced. I recommend using standard fence paling and painting it the same colour as your fence.

I've sketched an image below to give you an idea of how it can be repaired from your side. In regards to the gap at the bottom, I suggest just placing the remainder of your paling and attaching it to the one that's closest to the end of the fence.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Replacing single fence paling

Thanks so much @EricL, this is so helpful. Going to try that this weekend!

Appreciate your help :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects