Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace this downpipe?

writecrazy
Getting Established

How to replace this downpipe?

IMG20230522094510.jpg

Wanting to replace this piece coming down as it has a huge hole in it. Currently wraps around the house, but want to just have it go into the front. Not sure what I need to connect it to the gutters, and if I should stay that same shape the whole way down or switch to PVC pipes?

Advice on how to complete this project greatly appreciated. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace this downpipe?

Hello @writecrazy 

Thank you for sharing your question about your downpipe. 

Converting your standard galvanized downpipe into PVC involves using a Holman 100 x 50 x 90mm PVC Stormwater Downpipe Adaptor along with a Holman 90mm 45° M-F PVC Stormwater Elbow. I suggest connecting a Holman 90mm x 3m PVC Stormwater Pipe to the storm water elbow to direct the water to your desired location.

Before cutting the old metal downpipe, I suggest doing a test fit so that you can estimate where you will need to cut it. Please make sure to use a generous amount of Protek 250ml Type N Clear PVC Cement For Non Pressure Pipes to make sure that you won't have any leaks.

It is possible to have the pipes turn into the old direction, but it would involve using Holman 90mm 90° Female And Female PVC Stormwater Elbow and making a few turns. 

I've placed a sample sketch below to give you an idea of how you can connect the new parts. It will be necessary to clamp the the new pipe to your house using Kinetic 90mm DWV Pipe Saddle Clips to prevent it from swinging around.

Please make sure to use personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your downpipe.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
writecrazy
Getting Established

Eric, thanks for that detailed response. Will be looking to get the supplies over the next couple weeks, and will be sure to share how it goes! :smile:

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @writecrazy 

Just a friendly reminder that some states require a registered plumber to make these repairs, especially if it is reconnecting back into the sewer system. Just to be on the safe side, I recommend checking the rules and regulations of your local council.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects