Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace veranda posts?

Neen
Growing in Experience

How to replace veranda posts?

0A8897A5-B723-40BD-A5C4-F2B58C32B223.jpeg

ECA84FC9-3EF2-4241-8B8B-C1FD460C7C55.jpeg

EC959D21-F2EC-4DA3-92D8-3EF76B2752B6.jpeg

4BF95282-A240-4E6B-8E39-F89DC9FEC171.jpeg

84B2C312-E0F9-49C5-ABFD-67924BEB4AB2.jpeg

A3E25B90-44D0-4ACC-9BB2-5764BAC2A1BF.jpeg

Hi all
I am replacing half my veranda  floor due to wood rot and thought while I’m at it I’ll replace my 4 x veranda posts .

The Verandah measurements is

6m x 2.2m.

The previous owner had used colour bond sheeting around the base of the house which over time caused the wood rot due to limited ventilation.

The posts are the same age as me lol 66yr old  95 x 95  old jarrah post but are showing wood rot on about 3cm on the bottom of them. 

Do I use H3 or H4 Treated Pine 

100 x 100mm Post H4 Treated Pine Radiata CCA
OR
90 x 90mm Post H4 F7 Treated Pine DAR CCA
OR
88 x 88mm Post H3 Treated Pine Laminated LOSP FJ

The timber (green and brown face board?) will be replaced as it’s not repairable. Also 1 stump has rotted in half so will be replaced also. 
I have 2 options for the top of veranda.

1. replace floor boards as ends of current boards have rot on the ends also. 

2. lay concrete fibre sheeting and tile with 

bohemian tiles 

Neen_0-1710206390350.jpeg

Your suggestions are always greatly appreciated. 

Neen

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: replacing veranda posts

Good Evening @Neen 

Id go for the 100 *100 H4 posts, mainly because you can notch them down to fit your existing deck to make it as easy as possible to  replace the rotted timber.

That said, You have had Jarrah posts for 65 years (Very nice I must say) You could potentially scout around houses being torn down near you or a recycled timber yard even and replace it with hardwood and make sure you oil/paint it. I must admit I prefer the hard wood over pine if I can. Might be more work installing it but like the Jarrah, you know it will last longer.

BTW how much rot is showing and how close to the ground is the rot? I have seen some adds for timbermate products that have been unbelievably good. (It converts rotted timber to something solid again) So that could be worth looking at. 

I cant find the exact match for the add I saw in Facebook land but here is a place to start. Earl’s® Wood Hardener Is one I have seen examples of in my newsfeed that really looks interesting enough to try.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: replacing veranda posts

Hello @Neen 

Thanks for sharing your question about your veranda posts. It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Dave-1. I'm in agreement with his recommendation, using the 100 x 100 post is an ideal replacement. The ends can simply be trimmed down in order to fit into its old position.

Would it be possible for you to post a few photos of your veranda? It will give our members a chance to assess the posts damage. Plus, it will show us how the posts are installed on your veranda.   

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to replace veranda posts?

Afternoon @Neen 

Just saw your pics and that is going to be an interesting job. Possibly a large job.

Id be tempted to get down under the deck and see the state of underneath. That rot looks a little concerning. 

When you replace/remove the posts make sure you support the roof with the support posts. Gorilla 1.98-3.35m Galvanised Formwork Prop #2  Tho I think you may need to do one at a a time as your work along replacing the posts and bases (I am used to seeing piers under a post so its messing with me a little :smile: )

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Neen 

Thanks for sharing those photos of your veranda. Your deck frame seems to be deteriorating as well. I suggest engaging the services of a registered builder and having them assess if the frame is still in good condition. It would be a shame to update all those posts only to find out that the deck frame is compromised.

However, if your deck is still in good condition and the damage is only superficial, I suggest repairing it and painting the surface to protect it from the weather.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Neen
Growing in Experience

Thank you Eric

the only damage caused by wood rot is the face boards and 1 stump which will be replaced.

im also replacing the floor board to beaten up the appearance. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Neen

Thank you very much for that update, it's good to hear that you've already made your investigations and have a repair plan in place.

Please keep us updated with your progress. We look forward to seeing your repaired veranda.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects