Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to restore my outdoor table?

Tinker_Bell
Having an Impact

How to restore my outdoor table?

Hi there!

This is my first post 😁 I have a 5 year old outdoor table and bench set that is a little worse for wear. 

I would love to know what are the best tools to sand it and then seal it for outdoor weather?

Not fussed on staining it another color, my focus is more getting it smooth as I hate the feeling of dry cracked timber.

Sadly, I couldn't tell you what type of timber it is, brand is Del Terra FSC mix and not expensive

at all. 

Cheers!

Kit_Kat

Table close upTable close upWeathered Outdoor Table and BenchesWeathered Outdoor Table and Benches

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to restore my outdoor table?

Hello @Tinker_Bell

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you so much for sharing your question about how to restore your outdoor table.

Looking at the condition of the table this is just about the right time to give it refresh. You have three choices as to what kind of finish you can put on the table. You can use exterior paint, this will allow you to play with colour schemes and match them with items in your garden. You can use Feast Watson Outdoor Furniture Oil. You can have a nice Teak finish or a bold Jarrah hue. My favourite of course is Monocel Marine Grade Stain and Varnish. You can have the natural beauty of the timber on display and still keep it protected all year round.

Restoring your garden table is just like restoring any furniture. You will need to sand it down, when buying your first sander it's important to consider if you will be doing detailed work with it or is it just for flat surfaces. A detail sander will allow you to get into tight spaces and sand unusual shapes. An orbital sander is made to sand large open flat spaces. There is of course the choice of buying both if you're planning on doing upcycle projects in the future.  

This would be a good time to invest in personal protection equipment. I suggest Bear Disposable P2 Respirator Dust Mask With Valve - 3 Pack combined with Protector Clear Ultralite Wraparound Safety Glasses and Mechanix Wear SpeedKnit CR5 Gloves - Small

When you've gathered your equipment and you're ready to begin, make sure to find an area where the table will be safe from the rain. Begin sanding your table and once you've sanded it down and all the old paint is gone, clean the table off with a brush. Use a vacuum cleaner to pick up all the remaining dust and debris that might have been missed. My number one tip for painting is to invest in a good brush or roller. Using a cheap brush will not give you a superior finish. Make sure you have drop sheets to prevent any painting mishaps on the floor.

I suggest having a look at these step-by-step guides:

It certainly sounds like a fun project to be tackling this weekend. Any updates you can provide would be much appreciated. If you have any questions about your project. please don't hesitate to post them. Our members are more than happy to provide you with advice and information.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

This is great @EricL  I am excited to give this project a go! And with Bunnings open again in VIC I can actually go inside and grab everything I need. 

I'll post photos when it is all done. 

Kit_Kat

Keep us updated @Tinker_Bell. We'll be looking forward to seeing your results.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects