Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to restore weathered Red Cedar windows?

kdlayman
Just Starting Out

How to restore weathered Red Cedar windows?

We have lovely western red cedar windows and doors in our home. They have been neglected and are in a really bad state - badly weathered in areas where they have been hit by direct sunlight so the top which has been protected to a certain degree looks completely different to the bottom section of the window which is gray/black and fretting with the old stain peeling. 

how should I attack this project ? I gather I need to use some sort of timber restorer/rejuvenator to take all the gray weathered layer and then sand it all down and repaint. They had been stained with Cabiots previously. 

are there any tips that would make this job easier? What should I use to remove the weathered timber stain. 

32919149-C49F-4EA0-BCE7-E8FAE21BE53C.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to restore weathered Red Cedar windows?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @kdlayman. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question on timber restoration.

I'd encourage you to take some 120-grit sandpaper and test to see how far that greyed timber penetrates. You might find it's just the surface, and a simple sanding will remove it. Alternatively, you could use a timber prepper like our Intergrain 1L UltraPrep Timber Cleaner.

If you were happy with the Cabot's stain, I'd suggest you re-coat with it.

Let me know how you go with the sanding, and we can work from there.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects