Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to resurface this concrete path?

NataliaM
Getting Established

How to resurface this concrete path?

947AFB31-E6DB-4019-90CB-CF0A3FD7DBE5.jpeg

hi,

I have just purchased a house that requires the concrete path around the pool to be resurfaced. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I would go about resurfacing it or if this is a job that I would need to leave to a professional. If it was DIY I would have my dad who is pretty DIY savvy helping.

thanks 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: concrete resurfacing

Hi @NataliaM,

Do you think it might need a complete resurfacing, or could you potentially fill the cracks and re-paint? Filling the cracks and re-painting would certainly be a D.I.Y. job, but resurfacing gets a little more tricky. Either way, you'll likely need to repair the cracks as most resurfaces require the substrate to be stable before application.

Is it just the cracks that are the main issue, and if so, how many are there?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell, the main concerns is the previous paint (or whatever was used) is scraping away, there’s several cracks and there are also chips out of the path in many areas. I was looking at the mega stream liquid sandstone. Is that something that could work and do you happen to know if you need to do any prep with that? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @NataliaM,

As with any paintable product, the surface that it is being applied to needs to be sound. Flaking paint would have to be completely removed, and you'd likely need to go over it with an angle grinder with a brush attachment. For example, if you wanted to repaint the surface, most manufacturers of outdoors paints recommend removing the old flaking paint completely. I'm sure you can imagine how hard a task that would be.

If you would like to discuss your project in detail, Megatreat has a fantastic customer service line. I've always received amazing advice when dealing with them.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects