Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal a gap between two leaking retaining walls?

AdrianW
Growing in Experience

How to seal a gap between two leaking retaining walls?

Screenshot_20240103_133052_WhatsApp.jpg

Hi all

I have a stone retaining wall that sits against a steel retaining wall at 90 degrees. In heavy rains water runs through the gap between the two walls and I want to try and attempt to seal the gap up but unsure what product to use. The gap is fairly small (say max 10mm) but i am not sure if sealant would hold as most say they don't work if there's any water pressure. Would something like heavy duty bog be better? Or should i try to insert something solid into the crease/gap first?

Thanks for any help!

Adrian

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Best product to seal a gap between two retaining walls that water is leaking through

Hi @AdrianW 

If you seal the wall where will the water not go? May build up to a powerfull level the wall cant take.

But I will trust your judgement in that regard.

Lets seal it  comes in different color to match  you retaining walls

Sika 310ml White Sikaflex Pro+ Polyurethane Sealant - 310ml White

I/N: 0083587

$23.22

• Movement capability of ± 35% (ASTM C 719)
  • Bubble-free curing
  • Good workability
  • Good adhesion to many substrates
  • Solvent-free
Sikaflex® PRO+ is a 1-component, moisture-curing, elastic joint sealant.
Sikaflex® PRO+ is designed for movement and connection joints in concrete and masonry facades.

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to seal a gap between two leaking retaining walls?

Hello @AdrianW,

Great to see you've received advice from @Jewelleryrescue on sealing that gap. I'm sure our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc will also be happy to provide his thoughts as soon as he can.

Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Best product to seal a gap between two retaining walls that water is leaking through

Yes that's fair. I'm going to see if i can lay some ag pipe on both sides of the retaining wall. I have only a very limited slope to work with in the area that is leaking but it's worth a shot...

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @AdrianW,

@Jewelleryrescue has provided some great advice there and you're wise to consider other methods for controlling the water. Retaining walls are not waterproof objects, and water passing through through is considered normal. It would be best to invest your time in installing drainage to transfer the water elsewhere if it's of concern.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects