Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal cracks at edge of Merabu timber deck?

rajavamsi
Growing in Experience

How to seal cracks at edge of Merabu timber deck?

Hi there

i am doing decking in my alfresco and got a problem with few edges of timber getting cracked

material used - merabu 90 mm width with depth of timber at 19 mm and the screw used was builder countersunk rib head of 10g by 65mm with climacoat

is there a way to put some glue and seal the cracks ? Or better replace them ?

or should I use 45 mm length on the edges to reduce pressure instead of 65 ? As I have to put lot more screws to decking timber ?

any help will be appreciated ?

image.jpg

image.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to seal cracks at edge of Merabu timber deck?

Hi @rajavamsi,

Are you pre-drilling and countersinking those holes with a countersinking drill bit? If not, that is why the end grain splits out; you need to pre-drill. You could back the screws out, drill the hole in the decking board out slightly larger and re-insert the screw. The gap might close by itself.

I'd recommend you pick up a countersinking drillbit or swap over to a screw that is self-drilling, like the Zenith 12G x 65mm Stainless Steel Self Drilling Decking Screws. I used them on this project and saw very little end splits: How to build a deck.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
rajavamsi
Growing in Experience

Thank you Mitchell

i am pre-drilling with a countersink drill bit. The cracks happened after doing the pre drilling

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @rajavamsi 

Another possible reason you are getting cracks in your timber decking is the location of your drilling points. When pre-drilling into your decking panel, it's suggested to provide a distance of at least 25mm from the top and edge of the decking panel. Drilling too close to the edge will cause splintering and cracking of the timber edge. 

If the split in the timber is not too severe, I suggest putting in a few drops of Merbau decking oil so that the exposed fibres will be protected as the seasons pass.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects