Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to select a front door?

Renes
Getting Established

How to select a front door?

Hi, I like to have an advise on what to choose for an exterior door...i don t have much shelter for my entrance door and my existing door has been battered by rain and sun over the years.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Front door

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Renes. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about selecting an entrance door.

We have a wide selection of entrance doors made from durable materials that will be suitable for extreme conditions. Style-wise, the choice is up to you and would likely depend on the look you are going for and whether sound insulation is of concern. If you have a busy road out front, you might like to look at a solid-core door with limited glass panels. Here's a helpful article on How to choose a front door for your home.

Regarding the longevity of the door and protection from the elements, the most important part is sealing the door. On timber-finish doors, this can be achieved with an exterior timber oil or varnish. A timber oil needs to be replenished yearly in extreme conditions but requires no preparation to re-coat.  A varnish lasts far longer, but if it deteriorates, you'll need to sand the door before re-coating. The other option is to paint your door with quality exterior paint that can offer ten years or more of weather protection. It's essential to paint both the faces of the door and the top and bottom edges. The bottom edge especially needs to be painted before the door is installed. This is an often overlooked step and is one of the leading causes of water ingress into a door.

You'll see many years of weather resistance with a quality exterior door that's been sealed adequately.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Renes
Getting Established

Thanks Mitchell, ur info has been very helpful. However, if i do not choose fibreglass or steel door but Hume type of door costing abt $398 and have it painted with oil paint. Will that be sufficient? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

We have plenty of Hume exterior timber doors available @Renes and painting them will ensure they last for a very long time. There is no need to purchase a fibreglass or steel door.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects