Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stain a front door?

Tiarna
Just Starting Out

How to stain a front door?

I just had a new door installed in my home. While the man was putting the door up he said a stain would need to be put on it. It's my front door so I can't just take my door down. Hoping for some advice on a stain that I can use on the door while it is still up. Thanks so much in advance 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to stain a front door?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Tiarna.

Could you please let us know if you have details of the door that's been installed so our members can suggest the most appropriate product to use?

Alternatively, you could share a photo if you don't have details. 

We trust you'll get loads of help and inspiration for all your projects from our wonderful members. Don't hesitate to post anytime you need a hand with anything around the house or garden.

Many thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Door stain

Hello @Tiarna 

Thanks for sharing your question about staining your door. Just letting you know that it is also possible to paint your door in colour in case you were wondering. 

Your door can still be stained or painted even after it has been installed. Generally, you'll need to protect the surroundings with drop sheets and masking tape. This will prevent paint from going everywhere and staining its surroundings.

A picture of your door will definitely give our members a better idea of what it looks like. We can then make recommendations on how to proceed.

If you need a hand posting the photos, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects