Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop outdoor drain blocking with leaves?

kingj
Cultivating a Following

How to stop outdoor drain blocking with leaves?

Hello, 

I have a problem in my home country where the leaves clog outdoor drain. I have an old video of the situation , the drain is not visible in this video however I have marked it location in the picture. As you may notice the leaves fall continuously from the creeper next to the gate 

The drain is somewhat like this one .

I was looking for at ideas to stop it from clogging but things like this are not possible since they protrude outside and people can trip over. the other option I found was this one, but not sure how effective it is.

Can you suggest some options.

thanks

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Outdoor drain blocked by leaves.

Hi @kingj,

Thank you for your question about preventing blockages to an outdoor drain.

There are options such as this Deks 100mm Domed DWV PVC Grate or this Holman 100mm PVC DWV Grate, which can cover the drain while still allowing water to drain through. 

The issue I can see, is that anything that is flush to the ground is going to be able to be covered quite easily. These grates would be good to stop leaves getting down into the pipe, but you would need to regularly check to see if there are leaves sitting on top preventing them from draining properly.

Let me tag some of our helpful members to see if they have any ideas, @Dave-1, @Noyade, @TedBear.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Jacob

kingj
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @JacobZ , The drain is situated at a lower elevation to ensure that all water gathers around it and can be drained away. However, a recurring issue is that the leaves typically remain clear of the current grate, except during rainfall when they are swept towards the drain, potentially due to its lower position.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to stop outdoor drain blocking with leaves?

Good Morning @kingj 

I have the same issue with my drain next to my pool... I was about to suggest the upside down pool filter basket that has worked a treat for me until I saw your links. :smile:

Second option that has worked for me was my hose strangely, I had left it coiled up over the top of the drain and it effectivly blocked all the leaves from clogging the hole and allowing the water to exit. Think of a netball hoop ring made up of a hose. If you join the ends together and drill some holes through the hose it could work well.

Third option - most work required, Change out the drain head to either a larger one (Will still clog up easily id say) or install a Everhard 1m EasyDRAIN Polymer Grate And Channel so it will have a larger surface area to clog and keep draining the water.

Dave

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @kingj,

My answer would be @Dave-1's third option. Installing a channel drain will help spread out the area the leaves would have to cover to prevent drainage while still capturing and diverting the water down into the existing drain.

I believe there is concrete outside the gate, so you would have to cut some channels into the concrete using a concrete saw. You may require the services of a suitably licenced tradesperson to carry out this work.

You may also need to check the local regulations on plumbing before making any changes as it is a licenced and regulated industry in most jurisdictions.

Let me know what you think.

Jacob

kingj
Cultivating a Following

@Dave-1 @JacobZ 

Two thing with regards to channel drain

1. cars would pass over it 

2. The path has been sloped in a way that all water moves towards the drain , even if I install channel , most of the leaves/ water will go towards the sloped end, which I think will mean major part of the channel will remain unutilised ..plus cost associated with cutting 6-7ft of concrete.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @kingj,

Perhaps a smaller section of concrete could be cut out directly above the pipe and an Everhard EasyDRAIN Polymer Grate And Floway Pit installed. This would provide a larger grate, which is less likely to be blocked. Periodic maintenance would need still to be done to remove leaves when they accumulate.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @kingj 

Mmmm Any chance now that the rain has stopped to supply a photo of the area and general area? 

Dish drains are used across driveways all the time so I am not really concerned about it onless teh drain rund the same way as the tyres of the car. Btw I mean a 3 ft section of channel or even a half meter. Its mainly to extend teh capacity of the drain if leaves clog the top.

So if we scrap the fiorst and third option we are back to some form of option two where you have a small broken ridge that will stop surface leaves but allow water through. Or a larger width drain top but I still think something to filter the leaves before they clog the drain is an idea. 

Will wait for a pic if possible.

Dave

kingj
Cultivating a Following

Hello @Dave-1 @MitchellMc @JacobZ 

I have got more photos, of the entire gate  and the closer pictures of the drain.

And  closer one for the drain.

gate.jpgfdrain.jpgdrain.jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Morning @kingj 

Thank you for the extra photos, and yeah straight up I can see why there is an issue. The drain is very much too small for the area 😕  The last photo shows newer concrete and it looks like some work has been dont to after the install? 

I would suggest to break up that new concrete around the drain and replace with a larger width grill structure. The concern I have is the pipe that the drain is connected to may be too small in size to carry away all the water from the driveways surface. This would also explain why water backs up apart from the drain itself becoming clogged with leaf matter. 

Larger drain intake and check the size of the pipe and where it runs to would be my suggestion.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects