Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop the annoying drip of a downpipe?

Rotate
Just Starting Out

How to stop the annoying drip of a downpipe?

Hi team, Can you tell me the best way to put a stop to the sound of water dripping down my downpipe and hitting the elbow.  It's right outside my bedroom window and once the rain stops it can drip for ages. Slightly annoying when you are trying to sleep!  I've read things like gluing a piece of sponge inside the elbow.  Is this what you would recommend?

IMG_0339.JPEGIMG_0338.JPEG

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to stop the annoying drip of a downpipe?

Hello @Rotate 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about your downpipe.

There could be any number of possible causes in regards to how the dripping occurs in your downpipe. It could be leaves, dry twigs or some other debris that is allowing the water to bridge to the edge or center of the downpipe and causing it to make a dripping noise. 

Technically regular cleaning of the gutter will eliminate this phenomenon. However, as a quick solution to the problem I suggest trying to install a Jack Plastic Gutterguard Downpipe Cover. This will prevent the debris from stopping in the middle of the downpipe and reducing the chances of bridging.

I don't recommend installing a sponge inside the elbow as it will act like a sieve and stop the debris from flowing out. If enough debris is placed on the sponge, it will block the drain.

Since you'll be using a ladder, I suggest having a quick look at this guide -   How to use ladders safely by @Adam_W. Please remember to keep safety in mind and get an extra pair of hands to hold the ladder while you are using it.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric  

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Rotate
Just Starting Out

Thanks Eric for your reply. I will grab a ladder and have a look up there, but I highly doubt that it is from debris or anything as this is a new build in a new estate and there are no trees around whatsoever. I have only been in the house for five months, and have only noticed it since the weather is starting to get a bit wet. I believe it’s just the fall of the water when it hits the bottom of the elbow. I will see if I can find another solution. Thanks.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Rotate 

Investigating the cause is the best way to find out why the dripping is occurring. The only other thought in my mind is the way the down pipe has been angled. If it is off center and is leaning, odds are that the water is getting to the edge of the dropper and is falling off it instead of flowing onto the downpipe. But the only way to find out is by having a look and testing it with your garden hose.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the dripping fixed.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects