Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to tile a water feature?

iedwards1919
Finding My Feet

How to tile a water feature?

I have a rendered water feature. I want to take off the render to leave the bare brick and then tile it with large tiles. 
What preparation do I need to do, what adhesive will I need and is there a particular type of tile that will withstand the heat, colder nights and water?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Tiling a water feature

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @iedwards1919. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question on tiling a water feature.

If the render is in good condition, you could likely tile over it. Do you know if there is some type of waterproofing membrane over or under the render? If you were to remove the render and tile directly over the bricks, there wouldn't be any water-impermeable layer, so that would need to be addressed.

I'd suggest using Davco 20kg Ultraflex Ceramic Tile Adhesive, which is suitable for exterior use over render, bricks and waterproofing membranes.

Most standard tiles should be suitable for your purpose, and I'm not aware of any that have particular heat, cold or water-resistant properties.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell, I’m not sure what is behind the render. It is now bubbling and dropping off, hence wanting to start all over again. 
What could I use as a waterproof impermeable layer?

I would like to put on some large wall tiles but am concerned at the vertical weight. 

@iedwards1919,

If the render is bubbling, then it sounds like it needs to be removed.

You might like to see a helpful team member at your local store's Special Orders desk and get them to order in a container of Gripset pond waterproofing membrane. It's the only one I know of specifically designed for continuous immersion, and that has a dual purpose of both a membrane and a tile adhesive. There are other pond sealers, but I don't believe they can be tiled over.

As long as they're designated wall tiles, and you adhere them correctly, I can't see their weight being an issue.

Mitchell

Hi, there seem to be a number of Gripset Betta Pond waterproofing membranes available. Could I use the Waterproofing Pond Sealer, allow it to dry and then use the tile adhesive you recommended? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @iedwards1919

I suggest using the product my colleague @MitchellMc has mentioned. The Gripset Pond Waterproofing Membrane is made for immersion. It covers all those things you are after in a sealer. It is a waterproofing membrane, it can be continually immersed, and you can tile over it. Some membranes are only suitable as a surface cover or will only work as a sealer but can't be tiled over.  

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects