Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to treat rust on basketball stand?

Thierry
Building a Reputation

How to treat rust on basketball stand?

Hi team

I am trying to save the basketball stand from rust.

I currently have leftover steel primer since 5 years ago. 

Hope it's not too late. Appreciate any advice how to treat this.

IMG20230320182549.jpg

IMG20230320204822.jpg

  

Thanks

Thierry

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to treat rust on basketball stand?

Hi @Thierry,

Chances are that the can is still good if it can spray the product out of it. Make sure to shake it well for a couple of minutes to mix the contents. 

Although you could likely spray over the current rust, which will inhibit its corrosion to a certain extent, I'd recommend that you remove the bulk of the rust first. This can be done with a wire brush, or there are attachments like this Ryobi 6-Piece Wire Wheel Brush Set for a drill. You don't need to remove all traces of rust, but it's important to remove all the loose material. If you are looking to neutralise the rust completely, it is advisable to treat the rusted areas with Bondall 250ml Ranex Rustbuster Rust Converter prior to priming.

Once you've applied your primer and waited for it to dry, you should coat the entire frame with an epoxy-enamel paint to provide an extra layer of protection.

Here's a helpful guide on How to paint metal.

Remember to wear PPE, including a face mask, safety glasses and gloves. Safety glasses are especially important when using wire brushes, as the metal bristles can detach from the brush and cause eye damage. Also, since you'll be working at heights, it would be a good idea to read through this guide on How to use ladders safely.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects