Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to use HardiPlank with Colorbond posts?

rrolih
Finding My Feet

How to use HardiPlank with Colorbond posts?

Has anyone had any experience using Colorbond posts and rails to frame HardiPlank panels?

I was thinking free standing privacy screen1.8m x 10m with HP clips - posts in concrete.

Are there problems with this approach?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Using HardiPlank with Colorbond posts

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @rrolih. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about constructing a privacy screen.

It's not necessarily a problem, but these products are not designed for each other. You wouldn't be able to install the panels onto the Colorbond fence according to their specifications. You might be able to fix the ends of the planks to the posts, but there won't be anything to fix and support the mid-section. You really need at least two additional posts in-between the standard posts to fix off to.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Using HardiPlank with Colorbond posts

Thanks Mitchell. My thought was to cut down the planks to fit the 2400 CB width between posts and stack them with clips. Would that still need a post in the middle?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to use HardiPlank with Colorbond posts?

Hello @rrolih 

Just for clarification what kind of clips did you have in mind when fixing the HardiPlank to the Colorbond frame? The gap for the Colorbond rails are around 30mm as the fence panels are 29mm. 

The HardiPlank on the other hand is only 7.5mm thick, even if you double it, it will only give you a thickness of 15mm which means that the fence is loose and could twist and buckle because of the lack of support.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Thanks Eric. The clips are only to allow the planks to overlap and stack. I was going to pack the colorbond posts with timber or other so the ends would be firm.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @rrolih 

It is a sound idea, but I would not advise it. When timber gets wet it often holds the water in, this water is trapped between the Colorbond rail and the HardiPlank. This will accelerate the deterioration of the Colorbond rail and shorten the life of your fence.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

Thanks Eric - I'll give this some more thought.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects