Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to waterproof exterior acrylic-rendered wall

terrywang
Building a Reputation

How to waterproof exterior acrylic-rendered wall

The acrylic rendering on top of the brickwork seems to be already water resistance, however, some lower part of the house exterior wall are easily exposed to rainfall as there is no cover (tree canopy or roof/gutter).

See the orange is acrylic rendering. Grey/blue-ish stair is coated with some sort of concrete topcoat (used concrete sealer on top of it).

111.jpg

Is this correct product to waterproofing the acrylic rendering layer? Or something else (better)?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/crommelin-4l-water-based-brick-and-render-sealer_p0960095

Thanks in advance.

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Waterproofing Sealer for Exterior Wall Acrylic Rendering

Hi @terrywang,

Thank you for your question about waterproofing your acrylic-rendered wall. Our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be online this afternoon to assist. I'll also tag in our knowledgeable members @Dave-1@TedBear, and @Marty_greenshed to check if they have advice they'd like to share. You have a bright and cheerful garage, we will do our best to help keep it in its best condition. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Waterproofing Sealer for Exterior Wall Acrylic Rendering

Good morning @terrywang 

You say that the render is already water resistant? I havnt had to waterprrof any rendering and didnt think you would have to. I will wait to see what other members say (I am interested if its needed/how its needed). The coating on the steps look like they have a roughened texture to stop slipping more then waterproofing? Do you have a picture of the roofline?

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to waterproof exterior acrylic-rendered wall

Hello @terrywang 

I just spoke to Crommelin's technical department and they said that it is ok to use the Crommelin 4L Water Based Brick and Render Sealer. Please make sure to give the wall a thorough clean before you apply the sealer.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and mask. Remember to follow all the safety precautions recommended at the back of the tub.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects