Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to waterproof my exposed balcony?

nohammer
Just Starting Out

How to waterproof my exposed balcony?

Hi Team,

I have this exposed balcony (340cm L x 86W) with waterproofing issue. The water is seeping into the study causing damage and mould. Strata said they will fix it in March but it's been delayed already. When it rains, the carpet smells horrible and kicks off my allergies so is there a way I can roll the rain off the balcony? I'm not very handy so just need a quick bandaid solution to keep the area dry until we get it fixed. Thinking somehow getting a corflute sheet resting on the window doors?

Appreciate any help.Thanks!

20230116_195529.jpg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Getting rain off my balcony

Hi @nohammer 

Sorry about  you water leak woes.

How to fix a water leak depends on how its getting in. I like your curflue idea it will work if you feel the water is  hitting the balcony and  up on to the  glass and frame leaking in that way.

Can I suggest you  lift your carpet corner with a butter knife and pull it up and the  under foam too.  (Dont worry it can be put back down again later)  Peel back that corner and let it all dry out as if you dont the carpet will be ruined and very well become moldy.  a chair or stool will hold carpet flap up if  placed in the corner for carpet to lean against.

Place an old towel down in a roll to form a  water dam when it rains again but now you might be able to see precisely  where the water is leaking in at the first rains, Please note if your balcony is wet or not ie a potential source of  water leak.  The leak my be above you and running down inside the walls. So  Lets  try  track  the source of the water as the repaired person will need your detective  work too for better repairs. Or maybe you can DIY .I would want that fixed ASAP personally.

Xing my fingers this is an easy repair.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to waterproof my exposed balcony?

Hello @nohammer

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about fixing the leak in your balcony.

I'm sorry to hear that water is coming in through your floor. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the outside of your sliding door assembly? Our members can then have a good look at the assembly and try and figure out where the water is entering. Once we've had a good look when can then make recommendations on a possible repair.

Can you please tell us more about where the water comes in through? Does it enter the gaps between the sliding door or does it enter directly under the aluminium housing? Unfortunately, long term exposure to mould is not good for you, I suggest hiring a dehumidifier and placing it right in front of the wet carpets. Please keep the dockets in case you can refund the expense from the strata.

We look forward to seeing the photos.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
nohammer
Just Starting Out

Hi All,

Thank you for the advice. I will take some photos soon. We got information from strata that they will need to rewaterproof the balcony, e.g. remove the tiles and put in new membrane so i think it is seeping underneath. I was hoping for a quick cover i can set up to stop the rain get on the balcony while I wait for repairs, in 2 months time earliest. 

Thanks,

Shu

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @nohammer

If you are after a temporary cover for the area, your suggestion of covering the balcony with Corflute is actually an excellent idea. To keep the Corflute from flying away in high wind I suggest using T-Rex 48mm x 11m Strong Duct Tape and taping it to the smooth parts of your balcony floor. I also recommend tying a piece of rope on the balcony bottom post to run across the corflute from one end to the other as an extra measure of safety. Your objective is to cover the area so that water does not touch the tiles of your balcony. In this manner, the rainwater will be diverted and not pool on the floor of the balcony and find its way into your apartment.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

if you feel the water is  hitting the balcony and  up on to the  glass and frame leaking in that way.- what be the solution if this were to be the problem , as i have a similar situtation , thank you 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @muhsin,

You'd need to identify how the water enters the frame and address that issue. Typically water should be able to hit the glass and run down and off the window. If the water is running down the window and then entering the frame, it could be that the seals around the window glass need replacing. Check for gaps in the rubber seals and any cracking.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects