Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to waterproof polycarbonate corrugated roofing of chicken coop

Marten
Cultivating a Following

How to waterproof polycarbonate corrugated roofing of chicken coop

Hi there,

I purchased this item from Bunnings to install roofing for my chicken coop. Could you please let me know how to waterproof. perimeter of the roof as well as overlapping areas. The structure is timber post and the walls are merbau screen panels. 

Thank you! 

Capture.JPG

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to waterproof polycarbonate corrugated roofing of chicken coop

Hello @Marten

In order for us to give you a comprehensive recommendation, would it be possible for you to post some photos of your chicken coop? I just want to be sure that I'm understanding your question. Is the perimeter of the roof made of timber? Are you asking if you need waterproofing for overlapping panels? 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

HI @Marten 

I am going to assume underneath the polycarbonate sheet is a timber frame all round. 

Ideally you roof should be on a slight angle  so the water runs off neatly and dosnt try to under under the sheeting.

But Suntuf makes water seals for your corregated roof  panel the matches the undulations on the sides it is flat they  also make 20mm foam . All this foam  sits between  the polycarbonate roof and the  timber frame Then screw the  sheet down with roofing screws with caps so the foam compresses a bit.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/suntuf-black-corrugated-foam-infill-4-pack_p1010499

https://www.bunnings.com.au/suntuf-20-x-20mm-x-3m-back-channel-foam_p1010487

enjoy your project.  I like  chickens too  no roosters  please say your neighbours.

Marten
Cultivating a Following

@EricL hi here are some photosF4F178A1-147C-4FB4-AD47-C1F9C4F1B1E9.jpeg

   

2B55D4B6-A709-40C5-A41A-C72967CA60D1.jpeg

7E0E1179-E1E2-4259-864D-F84A664C1CC7.jpeg

21BE9AFC-7211-4CD2-A010-57F44A355F6A.jpeg

07156CF2-1F6D-44F6-BC10-F2EDA0BDF3DE.jpeg

Marten
Cultivating a Following

@Jewelleryrescue Hi 

these items are perfect thank you!

and definitely no roosters for the sake of keeping neighbours life easier:)

Hi @Marten 

Some  nice timber you have  there just make sure your polycarbonate is supported by a frame underneath with some cross timbers to screw into as it can be lifted by the wind,  this will let you  foam seals work too.

Can  i show you another product that may help your project its a channel made to hold roof sheeting edges or the  sheet ends  against timber  structure plus used  with the foam inserts for water proofing.

Suntuf 300 x 45 x 20mm Classic Cream Back Channel FrameI/N: 1010805 $24

https://www.bunnings.com.au/suntuf-300-x-45-x-20mm-classic-cream-back-channel-frame_p1010805

Do you let your chickens forage in your garden as they are perfect little gardeners and they eat many pests to,

Marten
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @Jewelleryrescue 

This product is amazing. As I understood this channels will be fixed to structure left and right and roof will be pushed into. 
How can I use “back channel foam” and “foam infill” in combination with this channel? Should I insert back channel foam into the roof and insert both roof and foam into the channel? 
Where can I use foam infill? 
Is there any video to show assembly and installation?

and yes, my chooks roam around the garden to grab pests and give the veggies fertiliser and get back the coop at night 😁

Hi @Marten 

Normally it is simplest to  lay  sheets on a flat frame with approx 50mm over hang.  I even   some times over hang the sides  for (simple structures.)

Watch the attached video may help give you  clues.  The main issues is the get the water to run off away from structure.

The  Channel I showed you typically is used to join to walls.

You are correct the channels  screw to the timber  long edge on top sitting (horizontally or tilled if on a sloped frame )

Either have the  polycarbonate sheet corrugations slide in between the top lip and bottom lip then add your foam corrugation  from underneath if you wish add a bead of silicon under the foam to seal it in place.

Alternately  Insert the side edge of the polycarbonate between the top and bottom premounted Channel and push in the square 20mm foam  also siliconed  in place to the channel from underneath.

The rest of the polycarbonate is screwed to the frame to hold it locked into the channel.

Sun tough in filler is at 3:35 time stamp in video.  I use silicone  under foam if it ever leaks.  Try with out  first. 

The girls need a warm dry house.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Marten

Thank you very much for posting those photos of your chicken coop. It's great that you've received excellent suggestions from @Jewelleryrescue. I totally agree with their recommendation that a frame must be built first so that the Suntuf panels can be installed properly. The panels by themselves will not hold their own weight and they will sag and fall without a timber frame. 

Having the Suntuf panel overhang is highly recommended as this will keep the timber frame dry. The Suntuf 20 x 20mm x 3m Back Channel Foam is inserted between the timber frame and the Suntuf panel.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide to help you with your roof framing: How to install battens on a carport roof.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Marten
Cultivating a Following

@EricL thank you sir!

thanks to @Jewelleryrescue's help and yours, now I am confident to start my waterproof chicken coop roofing :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects