Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ideas for cheap and easy privacy screen to enclose my front verandah.

Alyssa384
Just Starting Out

Ideas for cheap and easy privacy screen to enclose my front verandah.

I was thinking of using recycled pallets to hopefully create something very similar to the last photo I uploaded...

I have basic tool skills and I feel confident that I could pull off something like the photo, with the right advice and info to help me.

I really need to enclose part of the verandah (I was thinking some sort of L shaped design that goes from the stairs to the glass doors, about 2metres high, so that we can use it without the entire street watching us! (my home is on a VERY open corner block, and we never use the verandah because it's just so uncomfortable-plus the afternoon sun is torture in summer!).

It'd be nice to turn it into a comfortable yet functional space for me and my 7 month old to play or relax in together, so if anyone has any ideas or suggestions I'd very much appreciate some feedback to help me work out what the easiest and most suitable option might be.

Thanks in advance ☺️

IMG20200413140845.jpg

IMG20200413140911.jpg

IMG20200413140857.jpg

71cd4064ca84a443411223d4ab779983.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Ideas for cheap and easy privacy screen to enclose my front verandah.

Hi @Alyssa384,

A very warm welcome to Workshop. We're really pleased to have you join the community. 

Let me tag a couple of our pallet masters in @Yorky88 and @LePallet who might like to assist you with sharing some of their knowledge and experience. 

I'd encourage you to make a little sketch with dimensions and share it with us.

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Ideas for cheap and easy privacy screen to enclose my front verandah.

Welcome to the Workshop community @Alyssa384. It would be fantastic to assist you with your project and provide some options.

It is certainly possible to create a similar look to your last supplied photo using pallets. I'd be happy to guide you through that process.

If there was any type of budget that we could put towards the project, there are a few products which could help us achieve this look easily. A couple of options are screening products Specrite 1800 x 600 Merbau Garden Fence Panel and Lattice Makers 1800 x 900mm Herringbone Hardwood Screen Panel, which are pre-made requiring only to be fixed into position. There is also a gate Specrite 1800 x 900mm Merbau Vertical Slat Gate, which placed horizontally would look similar to what you have mentioned.

I've placed a D.I.Y step by step instructional tutorial on how to build a timber screen below. You may find it helpful in this project and uses Merbau decking as the screening material.

If you would like more information about these products or would like to create the screen from pallets, please let me know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects