Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ideas wanted for renovating the front yard

theM
Getting Established

Ideas wanted for renovating the front yard

Hi all!

I want to renovate my front yard (fences included). It needs quite a bit of work but I have no idea where to start. The previous owners covered the front yard with concrete and which can easily be broken with a hammer (I think) but seriously any advice of making it 10% better would be much appreciated.

MFront.pngfront yard.pngSide.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Ideas wanted for renovating the front yard

Hello @theM

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about renovating your front yard.

There are so many choices and so many options for your garden makeover that you immediately feel overwhelmed. Allow me to make a few suggestions that will make your choices easier. Do you want a low maintenance garden or one where you'll need to maintain it every other day? I suggest having a look at this guide - How to give your garden a makeover by @Adam_W

Like all projects, they come as good, better and best. Good means that you'll paint the wire fence white and add some hanging pots to take away the focus on the industrial look of the fence. You disguise the cement floor with artificial grass and put some planter boxes along the fence line. Buy more potted plants to create that full garden look.

Better will require you to create a timber sleeper border and add paver sand to allow you to put in pavers, saving you from having to demolish the concrete floor. I recommend a white picket fence to replace the steel one. The best part is the dedicated corners where the concrete has to be removed and real thriving plants are put in.   

The best means that you are after a very specific look and feel for your garden. All the concrete flooring needs to be broken up and removed. Grade A garden soil is to be put in and real turf is placed in front of the house. You put in custom Merbau fencing and plants are carefully chosen to blend in and work together. Proper drainage for your new garden front is put in place.

Have you seen a front yard garden that you like? Nothing is beyond reach and the only thing that will probably hold you back is your budget. I suggest pen and paper and writing down the plants and things you've seen that you want to include in your front yard. A particular flower pot design, a plant you saw at the market, a piece of garden furniture or an ornamental display that you would like to have. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Adam_W, @Noelle, @diy_hausdesigns, @Tara86 and @maknilsin for their recommendations on how best to renovate your front yard.

Here are some discussions you might find useful:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @theM,

I love your home and am confident you can dramatically improve the street appeal. 

I agree with you that removing the concrete should be the first priority. Then you can create a simple path to the front door as well as a front garden. A new timber picket fence would then really suit your home and finish it off perfectly.  

Looking forward to seeing how you can make your mark. 

Jason

theM
Getting Established

Hi EricL

Thank you so much for these suggestions. I'm running it past my partner. I think I might need to consider removing the concrete as it's uneven. It may take a while but I'll definitely show a before and after photo when I get a chance! Thanks again :smile:

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @theM

I recommend taking your time when assembling the elements of your garden. Keep in mind that how your garden looks must also be tempered with practicality. It has to be relatively easy to maintain and the bins must be easy to roll out to the street. It becomes a chore if you have to lift the bin or drag it over an element of your garden. Ease of use is very important on my list.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your preliminary plans for the front yard.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric  

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects