Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Installing Panel Stone as a splashback on Outdoor kitchen

Goricky
Finding My Feet

Installing Panel Stone as a splashback on Outdoor kitchen

I'm setting up an outdoor kitchen on my deck and want to use the Panel Stone as the splashback/feature around the BBQ/fridge cabinetry.

I'm after advice on whether I need to use a primer/sealant on the substrate before I glue the panel stone on.

The substrate installed is this: https://www.bunnings.com.au/gyprock-csr-2700-x-1200-x-10mm-3-24sqm-aquachek-plasterboard_p0733881 

The panel stone is this: https://www.bunnings.com.au/decor8-tiles-400-x-125mm-antique-sienna-panel-stone-5-pack_p3460027 

I'm not panel stoning the entire wall (which is 2160mm x 1200mm), just the part above the benchtop (about 250mm high x 2160 wide) and down the sides of the cabinetry (about 1200mm high x 270mm wide).

I also need to know if I have bought the right adhesive for the stone panels - this is what I have: https://www.bunnings.com.au/protek-2l-stone-setting-epoxy-adhesive-kit_p3460120 

Never done this before so any advice would be most grateful.

JaneK
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Installing Panel Stone as a splashback on Outdoor kitchen

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Goricky. It's fantastic to have you join us. Thanks for sharing this project. We're here to help and are confident you will get plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration from our amazing community members.

The terrifically helpful @MitchellMc will be back from his break on Friday and should be able to give you some advice. In the meantime, let me tag @ProjectPete@Mathy@PJA@JDE who might have some guidance and expertise to offer.

Thanks for your patience 

Jane

Found the answer you needed? Mark it as Most Helpful
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Goricky,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community and many thanks for your question. Here's the installation guide for the panel stone product. I note there is a requirement that the Gyprock Aquachek sheet is fixed at minimum centre of @ 100mm and that is has a supporting weight of 32kg/m2. 

Ardex Optima is a suitable product for fixing the stone to Gyprock and is available through our special orders desks in-store. In the Protek 2L Stone Setting Epoxy Adhesive Kit technical data sheet, it does not list Gyprock as a suitable substrate and warns against using this product on cement-based and compressed sheeting.

Please let me know if you have further questions or need assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell,

So if I use the Ardex Optima do I just apply it directly onto the Gyprock Aquachek, or do I need to prime it first?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Goricky,

From the Ardex Optima data sheet: "Priming is not usually necessary for plasterboard except when a jointing compound is used, the compound should then be primed with ARDEX Multiprime.".

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Mathy
Becoming a Leader

Hi @Goricky - These panel stones are the Decor8 type? And, are they supported by the bench top? Aquacheck is the waterproof version of Gyprock.

Here below is a link to the Bunnings DIY video for laying Panel Stone (they call it Stack Stone - I think it’s the same product)

https://youtu.be/mMa7SpSJ5GI

So, I definitely think you need to prime the Aquacheck. Decor8 Panel Stone is < 30kg/sqm - so if your stone is being laid as per the video, I’d probably go with the adhesive, primer and method they’ve used.

Hope this helps, cheers Deb :smile:

Thankyou everyone 😊

JaneK
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Good luck @Goricky! We'd love to see your before and after photos of your outdoor kitchen.

Jane

Found the answer you needed? Mark it as Most Helpful

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects