Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Installing a drainage coil and backfilling

john5
Growing in Experience

Installing a drainage coil and backfilling

Hi there, Hoping for some advice if anyone can help. I dug a small trench in my front yard to put down a drainage coil to direct rain water away from the bedroom wall which has been waterproofed too. You can see from the photos I have come across a broken ground pipe (or maybe I broke it while digging )along the tench which connects up to spouting on the roof. I just want to know if anyone knows if it is okay to just leave that old pipe there and simply put the new drainage coil on top of it as it is in the trench where I am putting the coil. I'm thinking the new coil will do the job of taking the water for that old pipe anyway. 

Going to put a  layer of scoria along the trench then put the coil on it and then backfill with the earth I had dug out. 

If anyone has any advice on anything I have mentioned it would be much appreciated as I am not that knowledgeable in this areaWill run a drainage coil along the trench to the cesspitWill run a drainage coil along the trench to the cesspitThere is a broken pipe I thought I could put the coil over.There is a broken pipe I thought I could put the coil over.The broken pipe is for rain water from spouting.The broken pipe is for rain water from spouting.Will put a layer of scoria down then put coil along it to the cesspit and  then backfill with dirtWill put a layer of scoria down then put coil along it to the cesspit and then backfill with dirt.

Thanks.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Installing a drainage coil and backfilling

Hi @john5

In this particular situation, I suggest using Vinidex 100mm StormFlex Coupling to repair the damaged portion. Cut out the damaged portion and glue the coupler between the cut ends. Leaving the damage will allow water to drain out in the surrounding soil softening it. The soil will then slowly drain away into the damaged hole creating a sinkhole in your garden. Water coming from your roof into your storm drain travels at speed. Water draining into the slotted pipe moves slowly and does not cause erosion.

Before covering everything back with soil, I suggest running a guideline with a slope going away from the bedroom wall. At the moment you're getting water in that area because the soil is possibly sloped towards the house. This would be the perfect opportunity to correct that issue. So the next time it rains the water will be re-directed away from the house towards proper drainage.    

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
john5
Growing in Experience

Thanks Eric. It is really helpful information. Appreciate it very much.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @john5,

In regards to your question about the scoria, it goes above the pipe not below. When you are trying to capture water with a pipe, the gravel goes above to allow the water to drop into the pipe. When you are trying to dispense water out of an Agline, perhaps over an area to irrigate it, you'd place gravel below it. 

In your case, you want to capture and transfer, so you'll dig down and lay the Agline on solid soil at a gradient towards the drain. Cover with a drainage cloth and then backfill the trench with scoria.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
pstq
Having an Impact

Have you check if the damaged pipe flows properly? I'd poke a hose down the downpipe and turn it on for a while to see if it ends up backing up and coming out that hole.

john5
Growing in Experience

Hi there, yes I am going to try that and see what happens. Great advice thank you.

john5
Growing in Experience

Hi Mitchell, I was wondering about that and you have just answered the questions circulating in my head about that. I've got it now! Thanks so much. Will definitely follow your advice.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects